sad goldfish creatures

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
this pearlscale goldfish is a grotesque idea by a human. for what? to entertain the human? it can't possibly swim naturally.
breeding fish for beautiful changes is one thing, but turning them into cruel experiments is wrong.
just my opinion-

Attachments

• IMG_0294.png
    IMG_0294.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 23
Hello finfayce. If you thoroughly study the science behind these hybrids you can be quite successful keeping them. They require a very specific diet because they have a very sensitive digestive system because their internal organs are so close together and need very specific tank mates. No aggressive fish and no fast swimmers. They're not for beginners by any means, but are very popular with those experienced fish keepers who are up to a challenge. I'm sticking to my Comets and Shubunkins. They're much easier to keep.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Last edited:
Hello finfayce. If you thoroughly study the science behind these hybrids you can be quite successful keeping them. They require a very specific diet because they have a very sensitive digestive system because their internal organs are so close together and need very specific tank mates. No aggressive fish and no fast swimmers. They're not for beginners by any means, but are very popular with those experienced fish keepers that are up to a challenge. I'm sticking to my Comets and Shubunkins. They're much easier to keep.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
i understand. :)

hi
i read that pearlscale goldfish often have swimblatter problems. i imagine difficulty for them to maintain balance being in a round shape.

Many of the fancy goldfish have the same issues and need to be kept with similar fish. I remember having fantails as a kid and they were already prone to issued. Seems they have been breeding them to extreme and I personally don't find them attractive. I tried keeping some oranda and ranchu but had a lot of issues and just gave up after my last oranda died before it's time.

I’ve watched videos of a guy with a Lionhead goldie, and he literally had to preform surgery on his fish. He had to dose the thing with clove oil and cut off some of the the wen, because it was blocking vision.
I’m alright with breeding for aesthetic features up to a point, but when you have to preform surgery on a literal fish because their freaky head growth is blinding them, you sometimes just have to step back and wonder if it would have been better off as a regular old Comet goldfish.
Well, also a ton of this is probably inbreeding, so the problems might not have been big if you get your fish from a very good source, but then these traits, body types, and mutations don’t occur…so, yeah, real hard choices.

I had a classroom tank and if you knew how many sad kids brought in hideously deformed goldfish because as they grew, they couldn't swim. They hoped I could save them, but there was nothing possible. There is no opinion in saying they are barely viable and are the result of thoughtless skill. Yes, it is hard to produce such fish. How you feel about why some people do it is where opinion comes in.

I’ve watched videos of a guy with a Lionhead goldie, and he literally had to preform surgery on his fish. He had to dose the thing with clove oil and cut off some of the the wen, because it was blocking vision.
I’m alright with breeding for aesthetic features up to a point, but when you have to preform surgery on a literal fish because their freaky head growth is blinding them, you sometimes just have to step back and wonder if it would have been better off as a regular old Comet goldfish.
Well, also a ton of this is probably inbreeding, so the problems might not have been big if you get your fish from a very good source, but then these traits, body types, and mutations don’t occur…so, yeah, real hard choices.
Luke's Goldies?

this pearlscale goldfish is a grotesque idea by a human. for what? to entertain the human? it can't possibly swim naturally.
breeding fish for beautiful changes is one thing, but turning them into cruel experiments is wrong.
just my opinion-
I had fancy goldfish for sometime,and one off them spent most of the time upside down when it was eating it was ok but then went upside down again,fed peas ,blood worms still know luck ,been keeping fish for 25 years and thay are the hardest ones to keep ,I find tropical fish much easier Mrs b

I had fancy goldfish for sometime,and one off them spent most of the time upside down when it was eating it was ok but then went upside down again,fed peas ,blood worms still know luck ,been keeping fish for 25 years and thay are the hardest ones to keep ,I find tropical fish much easier Mrs b
Hi
As I mentioned, it's just my opinion. Not interested in offending anyone.

Most reactions

Back