SA Puffer behaviour

Rory the cat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am currently doing daily 15% water changes on Puffs tank to get the ammonia/nitrite to 0 (nearly there! :D )

Over the past few days he has taken to lying in the bottom of the tank when I do this in exactly the same spot each time (his sleeping spot also I think).

He doesn't puff up but he sort of huffs for a minute and then just lies there watching me - he stays like this for 5-15 minutes then he is fine again.

Am I stressing him out, or he is simply sulking? He lies in a part of the tank that catches a ray of sunshine, he almost looks as though he is basking? I am careful that the PH & temp of the water I add is the same as the tank - though he sometimes starts doing this when I have just stuck my hands in and before any water is added. He isn't normally afraid of my hands as he will eat food out of them happily.

He's done this when I have gravel vacuumed - so I thought that might be stressing him out, but he's also done it when I just use a small siphon. :(

rory one of mine sometimes does this, don't know why but my water is fine and there is no obvious reason. I think its just one of the things they do, along with swimming just below the surface making ripples and tucking their tails in when they sleep!!

They are very individual fish, in my group one is skinny but always first to eat one is a fatty who never seems to eat, another pair are always hyperactive and very shy. brilliant litte fish!!

kev

Most reactions

Back