rubbernose pleco stopped sucking glass?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yvez9

you don't know JACK FISH
Reaction score
Hi

I got a rubbernose about, say, a bit over a week ago when my tank was just finished cycling.

I got a rubbernose pleco to eat the algea then. Let me tell you he had quite a snack that night as the tank was clean in the morning.

Since 3 days now, he just sits on ornaments all day and sucks on to those, moves a little but always stays in the same spot pretty much all day!

Then this week, on monday, I got a whip tail catfish. He just lays on the bottom and doesn't do much. He did eat the pellet I ave him the other night all by himself and a few leftovers on the bottom but that's it.

I'm wondering if my pleco's behavior is normal? The front of my tank is being slowly overrun by algea now and he won't eat it!

I am presuming your water nitrite/nitrates/ammonia/PH is all aok? Other than that just bringing this back up top, hoping somebody with more knowledge could tell you what's up. I am also presuming both fish in good condition, no apparent parasites or diseases? Can you find a book that tells you how often these guys are supposed to eat? If I'd cleaned an entire tank of algae I admit I wouldn't eat for a week! :sick: ;)

hehe
well the whiptail catfish eats the pellets i throw in, i'm not sure of the rubbernose though. I've never actually seen him eat them. I did throw in two last ngiht and both were gone but how do i know he ate one?

the whiptail i know because the gravel where he sits all day was very dirty today. I also saw him on the glass once since I got him. The pleco just doesn't do much I feel. At first he would suck glass like no tomorrow...

anyway
he's still alive so i'm not vounting him out yet I scraped off the algea 2 days ago and none is showing yet so maybe they are working!

cut back on the pellets, i wouldnt go aand look for food if someone was just giving it to me every night! also i feel pellets are a bit too much for these guys (im assuming they are small) so this may contribute to nitrate which grows the algae! (I'm basing this as the whiptail leaves a lot as the gravel is dirty)

Most reactions

Back