Ropefish

fishmaster2234

Reaction score
I have asked about this in tons of different places but have yet to find a strait answer my question is that will a Ropefish [juvenile to an adult] find a potential meal in peacock gobies, or platies.

thay will eat anything the size of a cricket.

for further reading search aquahobby on the net and look through it's index and click on rope fish (reed fish) and it will contain other peoples experiences, it might just help you. :good:

How big of a cricket are we talking abouthere because my peacock gobies are about 2 inches long and an inch in width and my platy is about 2.5 inches long and about 1.5 inches in width.

I have 4 ranging from 8 inches in length to my two biggest which are about 16 inches in length. I have never kepty them with fish as small as peacock gobies or platies but would imagine that they could eat fish that size. They ave large mouths that look like snakes mouths when they are eating prawn and the likes

Thanks, that helps out a lot. The reason I'm asking this is beacuse I have 75 gallon that has a few small fish like danios, australian blue-eyes, tetras, three gold barbs, peacock gobies, small silver dollars, a goodied, and a platy which I intend on moving to a different set-up. By doning this I will allow the tank to be occupied by other larger fish. I do have an adult Keyhole cichlid, 2 Angelfish, an adult Silver Dollar, an Elephant-nose fish, and a dwarf gouurami that I will keep in the 75 gallon. I will probably keep the young Silver Dollars in the other set-up until they can grow a bit larger and then re-introduce them back in to the 75 gallon.

Ropefish aren't particularly predatory, and in the wild feed primarily on bloodworm-sized insects and other invertebrates. Under aquarium conditions they rarely get as big as they do in the wild, and are primarily a threat to things like neons that are small and live close to the substrate. At 7 cm or so, I'd expect adult gudgeons to be relatively safe, though there'd be no guarantees, and it would depend on how well fed the ropefish is otherwise.

I'd also make the point that ropefish are "schooling" fish. They invariably settle in best when kept in group of four or more specimens. Singletons usually hide all day, but in groups they will cuddle up together in their nest and often spend the day with their heads hanging out of the cave, watching the world go by. This makes them a fare more interactive, entertaining pet.

Do be aware these fish are notorious escape artists. They are incompatible with any aquarium that requires gaps or openings in the hood (e.g., for a hang-on-the-back filter). Successful aquarists either keep them in half-filled tanks so they can't reach the top, or else in tanks where plastic mesh has been used to seal up gaps around pipes and wires as far as possible.

Cheers, Neale

Do be aware these fish are notorious escape artists. They are incompatible with any aquarium that requires gaps or openings in the hood (e.g., for a hang-on-the-back filter). Successful aquarists either keep them in half-filled tanks so they can't reach the top, or else in tanks where plastic mesh has been used to seal up gaps around pipes and wires as far as possible.

Cheers, Neale

that point cannot be stressed enough. Ifound out the hard way with the first two I got which surprised me as the gap was tiny. A costly mistake. the four I have now ain't getting out unless they develop wings!!

me also, i lost my Rope fish to an unknown escape route, i still have no idea how it got out :(

Another question I have is would a ropefish try to eat a banjo catfish

I would doubt it

Most reactions

Back