Rocks From Around The Yard - Can I Use?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jlw

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I think I read that I just need to do a good rinse. I have some bigger rocks that i think will look cool in the tank. Outside of washing, any other precautions I should take?

Don't take my word on this, but I'd say definitely thoroughly wash in very hot water (maybe even boiling water). DO NOT USE ANY SOAP! I'm not sure if it's alright to add random rocks to fish tank as i have no experience with that, but I'd just say definitely definitely wash them very well before adding.

What sort of rocks are they? I ask because some can alter the water chemistry.
Definitely soak/rinse them in hot water. If you do boiling water, pour it over the rocks, do not actually boil them as some can explode.

you should be fine as long as you clean them properly and rinse very well to remove any chemicals etc etc.

Put them in vinegar.  I use a clear container and check each rock by itself.  If the rock starts to fizz in the vinegar (like soda pop), throw it back outside.   Also don't use anything with any type of fossils.  I've found this to be the best way to test rocks.  

Do not mix in soft, sedimentary rocks as they can corrode/dissolve veeeeery slowly in water and may indirectly affect water quality.

Igneous and metamorphic rocks are usually inert and safe to use underwater. Just make sure you scrub them clean first :D

All rocks are 'safe', as long as they have no metallic veins in them, but some will dissolve over time and increase the hardness and/or pH of your water.

You can try the vinegar test, although vinegar isn't really a strong enough acid. If you can lay your hands on some rust remover, that's the ideal stuff to test rocks with.

Scrubbing with very hot water is all the prep you need do; no boiling or baking in the oven! As Ninj says, that's very dangerous!

Do the vinegar test, hasnt let me down yet. If it fizzes, only suitable for tanks who's inhabitants dont mind hard water. If it doesnt fizz, give it a scrub with warm water, and drop em in (gently lol)

Oops, sorry about the boiling water advice! I meant pour it over, but in any case that sounds like it may be dangerous so probably steer away from that :s sorry!

Most reactions

Back