Robust, Agile, Hard Schooling Fish To Accompany Fluffy?

Aviici

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've finally sorted my tank out and got my O in his 400L, so right away I went and bought the fish I've wanted for about a year. I need some ideas of what schooling fish I can keep with him, There's a lot of space for more fish as I only have 3 mid sized guys in the 200L tank at the moment.

The shoal needs to be quick, robust and able to get themselves out of trouble, and not be so small they'll just turn into a snack. Aggressive fish are fine, shy fish are a no-no.

Any help appreciated.

This reminds me of another thread a while back where this guy wanted a shoal of fish to put in his tank with a turtle in it, and he specifically wanted fish that would "help each other out when in trouble".

For your 400L, people recommend species only tanks for oscars. If you were to go with some sort of shoal, you'd have to get 6-10 30cm fish, which would quickly overstock you and might not be enough room for them in that tank to swim/escape.

Silver dollars are the only safe (for an oscar) schooling fish I know.  Don't buy small juveniles if Mr. Oscar is already a big specimen or it'll still go bad.

It's not for the tank with my Oscar, it's to go in the 200L with a rainbow snakehead, I know Oscars can't really have other fish with them, it only got on with a large Syno I once had. As Channa Bleheri are relitively peaceful snakeheads they can be kept as part of a community. Just need ideas about which fish. Thanks

Sorry!

Tinfoil barbs seem to be a common recommendation with the rainbow snakehead. Though you could probably go with any large barbs that grow 8". These ones...grow pretty big.

Tinfoils are a baaaad idea, get too big for 400L let alone 200L!!

My Rainbow Snakehead was a darling, didnt hurt a fly! Wouldnt trust him with much to be fair but he wasnt aggressive...

I had him in 260L with a pair of angels, cories and calico bristlenoses and a shoal of big Bleeding Heart Tetras. The trick is finding the tetras big enough! Congo Tetras would be fine as well :)

Oh sorry read OP wrong it seems :/

I wonder if a few near adult denison barbs (torpedo barbs) would work?  Anyone?

They prefer cool water with really high flow... much the opposite of the little snakehead!

This species of snakehead is typically predatory but they are tiny with adult size of 10-15cm depending on individuals and they are pretty shy and docile for the most part....

How about Butterfly fish and the Leopard Ctenopoma(Bushfish)? Gouramis (gold, opaline, pearls etc)

Cheers for the advice guys, basically I went for some Serpae tetras - they are pretty crazy! Got about 10 of them and they are like little piranhas when they feed! The only thing is they do have a little nip at the pleco sometimes but she can definitely stamp her authority when she wants to aha. The Synodontis hybrid gets on fine with everything too, including the snakehead.. they just have a scuffle every now and then when the snakehead decides to go in the Synos cave... BAD MOVE!

MBOU said:
They prefer cool water with really high flow... much the opposite of the little snakehead!

Actually, I don't think that is the case.
To my knowledge, snakeheads are subtropical, not tropical and therefore thrive in cooler water (20 degrees or so).

Most reactions

Back