Right ... Ready To Start My Tank :d

resu

Reaction score
Hi,

some of you may have read my previous thread about which tank to go for.

I spent last night .. pulling my dads old tank out of the garage and cleaning it up (it had been left outside for a couple of months and was full of dirt and moss)

I've also primed up the old plastic lid as well.

i mouse had chewed through the old light wiring so i will have to rewire that.

the heater ... well ... it looks like a rusty test tube so ive gotta get that ordered

and the pump ... gotta get that on order aswell.

there was also a mesh that went under the gravel at the bottom of the tank ... which i assume was to either distribute air evenly or to clean up stuff that got through the gravel ... (i dont have a clue)

anyway i'm off to get a nice piece of solid furniture tonight so i can get my tank in my room tonight.

now .. question time!

I want to use sand, ive read taht if i want real plants then i have to use fertiliser below the sand?
can anyone recommend me a sand & fertiliser please?...

im going for a heated fresh water tank btw .. maybe brackish.. but probably fresh

I also have a piece of drift wood thats been sitting in my room for ages .. its a collection of roots that had grown around a larger piece of wood .. i stripped out the larger wood leaving a collection of thick (10 - 15 mm) roots/vines (dead) spiraling around.

I was thinking it might be a nice to use it in the tank but i was wondering what i need to do to treat it (if anything) before i can put it in.
it may not be worth doing its just out of interest really

thanks in advance

Will

Hi,

The wood can just be left soaking in a bucket of water until its ready to be used.

Most plants don't do well in brackish water.

The plastic sounds like egg crate which is useful if you plan on using lots of rocks in the tank as it spreads the weight across the bottom better.

Plants will grow in just sand u can get fertiliser tabs to put round the roots. My tanks all have play sand which can be bought from argos or toys r us if you are in the uk. cheaper than from the fish shop and safe.

Emma :)

Hi,

The wood can just be left soaking in a bucket of water until its ready to be used.

Most plants don't do well in brackish water.

The plastic sounds like egg crate which is useful if you plan on using lots of rocks in the tank as it spreads the weight across the bottom better.

Plants will grow in just sand u can get fertiliser tabs to put round the roots. My tanks all have play sand which can be bought from argos or toys r us if you are in the uk. cheaper than from the fish shop and safe.

Emma :)

ahh great.. that clears up my fresh vs brackish problem. lol

i do want plants coz theyre .. nice :)

yea im in the UK so ill pop round toys r us later this week .. well tomorrow ;)

tahts cool about the fertiliser aswell nice and easy.

ill wait till i get the sand and then to a mock dry setup of the tank to see if it looks good.. if so then ill start soaking the wood. and begin cycling the tank :d:D:D

lol sounds lame but im getting a bit excited about getting some fish! finally lol

thanks again

Most reactions

Back