Right im going to start a fresh tank

nemo20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
please can someone tell me what i need for a tank with tropical fish i it... i mean all the equipment and stuff im going to start from fresh but ned help!! IOf someone could thanks?? :dunno:

For a tropical tank you need:

-gravel
-some sort of tank. i recommend 10 u.s gallon and up
-filter. i recommend off-the back kind
-heater
-aquatic thermometer
-either plastic, silk or live plants
-nitrite, nitrate, PH, ammonia test kit.
-a bottle of pure ammonia to start off the cycling
-water dechlorinator

Read the pinned topics. They'll help you alot. Please read the fishless cycling one carefully. you cannot add fish until this cycle is over.

HTH,
Skylar

You'll also need fish food (obviously) and a net.

I don't think a Ph kit is necessary for a beginner.

Go for the largest tank you can afford/have room for. The more water, the more stable it is and esaier to keep. In addition it lets you choose from a much wider variety of fishes.

If your looking for good deal you can always check out the used deals in local papers that way you can afford a larger size tank and save yourself a bit of money (also I would recomind replacing any heaters that might come with the tank).

Thanks on all the advice, but can you get a filter/heater in one... ??? If so how much would it cost?? Or do you buy them both seperate? :dunno:

I don't think I've ever heard of a heater/filter in one, but then almost all my stuff is used because new stuff is just too expensive around here.... so I can't say for sure. Plus, you don't 'need' fake or real plants, but they are nice if you like the look, plus everyone forgot a biggy, which would be a light of some kind, which is the real indicator of whether or not you can get live plants in the first place. Personally I like some tanks with just rocks and some sort of substrate without plants, but then I like plants too... anyways, a lot of the newer heaters come with a temp gauge but just to be one the safe side it's good to have a thermometer too just in case the heater starts to malfunction. And whatever you do don't forget to research the fish you want to get to death, because you can never stop learning about the little buggers :)

20 Gallon Glass tank, Good starter tank not to big not to small.
HOB Filter
Sand, Gravel if you dont want sand
Master test kit
Heater
Hood
Lights, try to get 2 watts per gallon for plants.
Food
Water conditioner
Maybe a power head.
Whatver you dont dont get a undergravel filter, they are garbage. And ofcourse
RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH, cant stress that more.

Thanks!! Its actually amazing how much hard work fish are and this forum is te best thing ive found to get help!!!!!!!! :cool: :kana:

Most reactions

Back