Returning after 30 years

Graeme M

Reaction score
Morning all

I have just joined as i am planning to return to keeping an aquarium after over 30 years away.

First i need to buy a tank and have narrowed it down to 3 potential options.

1. Juwel Rio 125 litres (comes with Bioflow Filter M and T5 lights)
2. Fluval Roma 125 litres (U3 filter and 10w LED light
3. Interpet Pod 120 litres (CF3 filter and 2 x 18w lights)

Plan is for a well planted community aquarium. Is there much to choose between these three starter set ups? By that am i going to have to upgrade lighting quickly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Morning all

I have just joined as i am planning to return to keeping an aquarium after over 30 years away.

First i need to buy a tank and have narrowed it down to 3 potential options.

1. Juwel Rio 125 litres (comes with Bioflow Filter M and T5 lights)
2. Fluval Roma 125 litres (U3 filter and 10w LED light
3. Interpet Pod 120 litres (CF3 filter and 2 x 18w lights)

Plan is for a well planted community aquarium. Is there much to choose between these three starter set ups? By that am i going to have to upgrade lighting quickly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi
ive just got back into it after about 23 yrs and a LOT has changed. The science has evolved, fish knowledge too and it’s all available from the guys n gals on here and Seriouslyfish.com.
ive an Interpet 120L but I don’t know if it’s the “pod”. Mine is 765x325x550mm. It’s a high tank and 550 is to the water line, it’s adverts include the hood measuremen.The lightings having no problems growing my plants
Enjoy yourself.

Hello welcome to the forum - I would go for the Roma 125 and upgrade to an external canister filter. The Juwel is nice but the filter is fixed in place so harder to upgrade to external and I don’t rate interpet as a brand really had a few of their products over the years and they just don’t seem as well made as other brands.

Might be worth looking at evolution aqua too, I’ve just got an Aquascaper 600 from them and really impressed. The aquascaper is open topped so not for everyone but their freshwater range is really nice too.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

I would go with the Roma 125. I hear a lot of people on here commenting on how nice it is.

I'm no help with tank choices I'm afraid, but welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing more planted and community tanks (my favourite) around here! :D

Thank you for the responses, welcome and advice. I will let you know how i get on.

So by way of an update I went for the Roma 125. Have just set this up, see pic, but a long way to go yet, more plants needed etc. Water is a bit cloudy in the pic as it was taken just an hour after i added it. Any comments welcome
_20200815_092243.JPG

So by way of an update I went for the Roma 125. Have just set this up, see pic, but a long way to go yet, more plants needed etc. Water is a bit cloudy in the pic as it was taken just an hour after i added it. Any comments welcomeView attachment 113241
Looks great already very very elegant. Great job and welcome

Very nicely done, pretty good aquascape especially since being away for 30 years, not lost your touch then!

I've been away from fishkeeping for 2 years and just very recently returned yeah, even in that short space, there has been a few changes already!
Got a little bit of catching up to do and am on the lookout for a new tank as well, think the Roma 125 was a good choice, I am a fan of fluval equipment as well so perhaps am a bit biased that way!

However no idea about the 10w LED lights, so would be great if feedback about that light could be given in due course saying if it works for good plant growth etc, that would be really good info as pretty much all I know regarding tank lights are the T5 and T8 lights!! :blush:

Most reactions

Back