Retiring my old HOT Magnum Filters...

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
so they still work great, but now that the other new hang on tank filters have covers, & ease of service is much better ( they are less labor intensive ) I have 5-6 of the HOT Magnums, that all work... I will most likely clean them up & shelve them as back ups... one of the nice features of those filters is the micron filter inserts for polishing water, I assume those would remove algae that's in suspension in the water, I might clean them up, & put the paper elements in half of them, & put the floss blanketed canister in the others... right now I have ceramic media in my canisters, but in the past have run Carbon... will likely put new carbon in half for the back up units...

my live plants are doing a great job right now, so no need for carbon today, & I like the easy service of the Aquaclear & SeaChem hanq on tank filters for removing larger stuff... I'm not sure if I like the SeaChem Tidals or not, as they incorporate a skimmer... it's funny, as they have a filter minder float button, but the skimmer gets so noisy if the water level goes 1/4 inch below the sweet spot, I would never need the filter minder... there is basically an "audio alarm" on that filter... that said, I have one tank that seems to get a film all the time, & I'm currently running a dedicated skimmer on that tank... so I have another Tidal coming for that one...

I'm feeling pretty good about my water right now... as I went from awful whole house softened super high alkaline water... to what I would call close tom perfect, with the addition of an RO unit for water changes on the aquariums... fishies are all looking good right now :)

I have a seachem tidal and although I love the design of it as far as user friendliness and how quiet it is. I don't like that it doesn't hold all that much media. It's got so many good points but I probably won't buy another one because I don't feel like it's got enough media or if I do buy another one I'll oversize it by at least double.

I have bought an assortment of larger mesh bags... I think both the Aquaclear, & the Tidal only come with a minimal amount of media... because I put ceramic media in my house plant aquarium pots, & in my Hydroponic pots in my Tilapia tanks... I have bough several 6 to 10 pound packages

I've been using the Aquaclear 70 & the Tidal 75... I now have several on tanks, but will be adding a few more, to replace the Magnums

Last edited:
@Naughts ... yep who knew... was in fish for 20 years, & IMO, they were the best filter at the time, & still one of the few hang on tanks, that you can put a micron filter into...

guess I'll have to change my name to "Magnums on reserve" or just old fish dude ;)

@Naughts ... yep who knew... was in fish for 20 years, & IMO, they were the best filter at the time, & still one of the few hang on tanks, that you can put a micron filter into...

guess I'll have to change my name to "Magnums on reserve" or just old fish dude ;)
Yes they do not make things like they used to , a friend has an Eheim canister on heavy planted 75 gallon which I kid you not he has had since for thirty years plus and works like new .

In fact we are going to split an order from site you gave me next month now that temps here cooling down.

Full time manager job, & animal farmer ( don't put crops in, we rent out the fields )... so I'm always exhausted, don't watch much TV ( that's what the aquariums are for ) so always looking for a better way, that's less work...

Most reactions

Back