Rescaping Tank, But How Much Weight Can The Tank Handle?

Fluval-1200

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My tank at the minute has gravel/ bogwood/ plants and some slate.
Im planning on changing to sand and lots of slate with a small piece of bogwood and moss.

My concern for the minute is how much weight can the bottom of my tank handle?, its a fluval profile 1200 tank and the glass is around 10mm thick. The bottom pane doesn't sit flush with the stand instead it has a metal edge all round that makes it about 10mm from touching the stand.
If anyone knows what sort of weight im looking at holding (in kg) it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

what size tank?

i wouldnt worry too much....the weight of the water is probably 10 times heavier than your slate/ornaments

i would fill the tank at least halfway before adding the slate, the slate/rocks are lighter when in the water

Most fish tanks are made to handle a far, far higher weight than they're ever likely to actually need to hold.

Have a look at the bottom glass and see if you can see a kite symbol. This means it's tempered glass, which means it's even stronger.

Just go ahead and do what you want. You shouldn't have any problems.

its not what the tank can hold its what the desk table or cabinet thats holding the tank up can hold, most cabinets are strong, becasue a large tank say, 200L tank that is infact 200KG of water, add in the tank maybe another 2 to 5kg, if you have sand 15kg, rocks 10 to 20 kg, fish not sure if they will add any weight no idea :p, and then you got filter stuff, plants, other ornaments and stuff, you can pretty much be safe to say it will be okay :D i have a 330L tank and i recon the weight of it all may near top 500Kg and thats being held up by only 4 44mmx44mm posts :D altho the desk it self adds more support than that :D so you should be okayjust dont go OTT :p like add 200kg worth of rocks to a 200l tank if you know what i mean

True that, though in the same way that a tank is made to hold a weight far higher than it needs to, I would have thought that the associated cabinets are also made in the same way.

As long as you have an official stand made for that tank, I would have thought it's fine.

Its a 323 litre tank and the stand is the right one for it.

I was thinking of just going straight ahead and fill it with slate but wanted to make sure before I have loads of water go all over my floor lol.

Im gutted, found a stunning piece of slate yesterday it must of been about 2ft by 2ft and around 1 and half inch thick. Carried it home for like a mile and went to trim the piece that I wanted and the whole lot shatterd!!!! cant find any decent size pieces now either.

Most reactions

Back