Replacing Two Cories I Lost But Will This Work?

friendlyfishy777

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I tragically lost two of my Trilineatus recently due to an error in judgment (I used snail killer treatment that had copper in it! :(). I have a couple left who seem pretty content as they keep swarming after water changes (but their eggs disappear quickly due to other tank mates). Nevertheless, I'd like to add to their numbers again. Now, as I understand it, Trilineatus are often mistaken as Julii so I'm wondering if the fish themselves would be happy enough if I add a number of true Julii to up their numbers (instead of replacing with Trilineatus). Would this work, what do you think?

Also, I'd like to know if I could up their group to six in total (so that's adding four more fish to my tank) or would that be too much for my tank, which is mostly made up of bottom dwellers? My tank is a roma 200L but I don't have it filled to the top so it's more like a 160L tank. The tank has a number of craves, a big piece of bogwood in middle and lots of plants to the back. My current stocking is in my sig.

Would I be better in moving the current two Trilineatus to another tank and adding to their numbers there instead.

First question first, your trili would be happiest with more trili. They're always happiest with their own species. I know that julii look a lot like trilineatus, but they just aren't the same and they'll know it. Frankly, I like the trili better than the julii but that's just a preference.

As for adding more fish, I think you're fine adding them to your current tank, so long as there's enough "grazing" room on the substrate for them. I have about 20 cory of different species in my 55g and they're fine. Now, if I could just find some more agassizii and delphax I'd be very happy.
biggrin.gif

TBH - you'll be lucky to find True Julii's around,they're quite rare nowadays,and you're more than likely end up has tri's instead of julli's.

Just add tri's they'll be much happier with that :good:

Yes not to thread-jack, but after a few unfortunate losses I'm down to 3 and of the three I can definately see, two are tri and one is julii...

Hmmm...

I want to get their numbers back up, but after the loss of fish (not to mention their price!) I don't want a repeat...

What was the possible cause of their deaths, nurglespuss? I'm interested to know as doing a bit of a google seems to revel countless people buy Trilineatus and have a few die on them quite quickly. It leads me to wonder if tank bred Trilineatus are becoming poorly bred in the UK. which was my real reason for wanting to obtain some wild caught Juli over more tank breds.

As for adding more fish, I think you're fine adding them to your current tank, so long as there's enough "grazing" room on the substrate for them. I have about 20 cory of different species in my 55g and they're fine. Now, if I could just find some more agassizii and delphax I'd be very happy.
biggrin.gif

Cool!

:)

What was the possible cause of their deaths, nurglespuss? I'm interested to know as doing a bit of a google seems to revel countless people buy Trilineatus and have a few die on them quite quickly. It leads me to wonder if tank bred Trilineatus are becoming poorly bred in the UK. which was my real reason for wanting to obtain some wild caught Juli over more tank breds.

Hi FF,

I'm really not sure! I think you are right and they are not only overly delicate, but disease carriers as well.

I initially thought my filter had crashed, but was wrong. My ammonia testing equipment is rather sensitive, and so reads any small rise (i.e. from a recently dead fish) as a spike.

The cories that died exhibeted no visuble signs of stress/ill health and all went within a day of eachother. (also wiping out all my other catfish bar one bristlenose)

I 'think' that the whitespot symptoms i spotted on my pitbull were entirely stress related and that the underlying cause was a bacterial infection (red internal colouring on one side of the body on all the plecs that died).

i.e. my own fault for not having a quaranteen tank.

i.e. my own fault for not having a quaranteen tank.

That's such bad luck, I really feel for you! :( Up until now I didn't bother with a quarantine tank either. I've just ordered some fish and will be putting them in a quarantine tank when they get here Wednesday.

I've brought three Trilineatus but I've decided to move my other two out of the current tank and put all five in their own smaller tank when ready. Many people say the Cories all have the same personalities but I've found the Trilineatus to be far more sensitive in temperament - they just can't compete for food with my boisterous gold lasers, hoplos and other cories. On the plus side, that leaves more room in my bigger tank for more fish. :lol:

I've ordered some Corydoras virginiae: they look like Pandas but grow bigger, are said to be more hardy, and according to the scotcat website have no problem competeing for food. Only thing is I could only get my hands on two! So will have to keep an eye out for some more.

C. verginai.JPG

Good for you, friendlyfishy777. The C. virginiae are some lovely corys but hardly anyone seems to mention having them. They are among my favorites for their pale, delicate coloring and their frequent activity. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :D

View attachment 65405

Good for you, friendlyfishy777. The C. virginiae are some lovely corys but hardly anyone seems to mention having them. They are among my favorites for their pale, delicate coloring and their frequent activity. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :D

Wonderful picture!
And, I love your fish room, btw. :)

Yes, I'm sure I will enjoy them. I am really looking forward to their arrival. I really wanted to get five but they only had two in stock and no where else seems to sell them right now.

I'm rather gutted, I won't be getting the C. virginiae after all. The fish stop guy phoned to say my two had accidently been sold. :(

Awwww.... How disappointing. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will get some more of them in. If not, keep your eyes open next year around this time. If they are wild cought corys, which they probably are, they will usually be available on a seasonal basis.

Most reactions

Back