Replacing Tube With Led Lighting

sid_zie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

It's been a while since i've visited here.

I've been looking to replace the light on my tank. It's a 45cm cube, about 60 litres. And i've been keeping mainly crypts and java fern, so nothing high demand.

The light is currently 18w and quite pink looking. I was thinking about getting some led lights. Do leds need less wattage to be effective?

I have seen a wave point 6w unit. Is this a suitable wattage for leds? Is the wave point light designed for marrine tanks? Will it be suitable for freshwater? Are there other similar options? Or should I stick with what I have?

Sorry for lots of questions, any info is helpful.

Thanks
Sid

I have LED lights and I LOVE them!

In my small 19 gallon, I have the Marineland Hidden LED strip, which is submersible and so gives lots of options for placement.  It is VERY bright on the bright setting, and the blue / moon setting has several lights on.

In my 50 gallon, I bought the Aqueon LED Modular light fixture, which comes with one day white strip.  There are slots, to add 2 more strips, either day white, color max, or blue.  The day white is not nearly as bright as the Marineland.  And the moon glow is just 2 blue lights, not much at all.

I found it hard to sort out what to get in transferring to LED.  Solar Flare / Deep Blue has plenty of options, as does Aqueon.  Marineland LEDs don't get very good reviews on the Amazon pages, except for the Hidden strip I bought.

Cool thanks for the info. Sounds like it's something for me to look into. How many watts over your 19g tank? Or does Wpg not really mean much for leds?

sid_zie said:
Do leds need less wattage to be effective?
Unfortunately the wattage gives no indication to the efficacy of LEDs (or tubes) - You need to compare the PAR for one versus the other.

I found it frustrating to compare the LED setups, took me ages.  Maybe just as it is new?  Anyway, here is an example:

Marineland Single Bright has .06 watt LED.  Their Double Bright has 1 watt LEDs.  For the same length/strip of light, single bright is 300 lumens, double bright is 450 lumens.  And forget trying to compare how many blue lights on each.  Then try to compare the Kelvins, ack! 

I also read tons of reviews on Amazon, and the Marineland leds got very poor ratings, except for the HIDDEN submersible, which is what I bought. 

I've been doing a bit more reading (sorry, for not replying).

I've been looking at this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151171228154?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

and wondered whether it looks like it would be suitable for a 45cm cube.

I currently have the arcadia ellipse 18W light (edit - actually I may have the 24W version... I cannot remember), and it's seen better days.  Would an 18W LED light be too much light for what is essentially a low-tech set up?  I'm happy to set up a DIY CO2 system or dose with liquid cardbon and add ferts.

Has anyone used this LED light and any comments or other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Sid

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have that exact LED from beams works, its very good but very BRIGHT leds, however must be careful with light times, otherwise algae issues will be prevalent.

I like these lighst and having to adjust flow and ferts and co2 to try and match everything right, will take a little time to find that sweet balance, but worth it, i hope!

Sunday at a special event at Ken's Fish, I picked up this one:

http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/97529

Built in timer with 3 channels, this is awesome!  Forget the other stuff I talked about, above.  I have this set for a sunrise, so from darkness (overnight ) it gradually brightens to full broad daylight.  Then the color comes in as well.  All that takes about an hour, the way I programmed it (you have options).  Whole thing is full on by 8 AM.

Then the color fades out starting at 5 PM, and sunset occurs starting at 6 PM, and I have the moonlight come on as that shuts down (7 PM) and stays as moonlight till 9 PM, then total darkness for overnight.  I purposely set it this way as it is new and I wanted to SEE it do it's thing.  SOOOOO COOL!

I have the 36 inch, as it is on my 50 gallon,  I really wanted to get one for my 37 gallon tank as well.  But that is 30 inches long and I've discovered NO ONE makes a 30 inch LED!  Darn it.

I'm debating trying the Satellite Flexible LED + with controller and remote.  But I found a few reviews which suggest you need 2 strips (UGH!) and one person had his drop in the water and short out.  Not good.  I have a 30 inch T5 HO fixture, no tubes in it at the moment, I could just stick the strip(s) in that and be fine.   Here is a link to what I am talking about:  http://www.thatpetplace.com/satellite-freshwater-flexible-led-strip-light-controller-remote-44in?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c262468&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26803984&gclid=CLib25L2u74CFTQQ7AodIhUA1w

Most reactions

Back