Replacement Filter Media On The Cheap

loz_the_guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im getting a bit sick of paying £10-15 to replace my filter media, and have heard its possible to DIY it. My current fluval 2+ filter has foam pads, polyester and carbon.

I assume the foam doesnt really ever need replacing, am I right? As for the polyester pads, can I jsut buy any sort of polyester from say a material shop and use that? How often should I be replacing these?

And ive no idea how I could make carbon filter pads, is it even possible? Again, how often do these need to be replaced?

As said the foam filters never need replacing unless there falling apart or degrading

As tot he poly filter i by a bag of poly wool from a LFS (Also available online) its about 10 quid for a HUGE bag. im still on my bag i bought about 1 year ago and i use it on 2 filtered in my tank. for you it might last forever.....

as to the carbon you do replace this more regularly as its weakens as its used. you can by carbon in a pot and you then just ned to make a net that is sealable to place it in then you just empty the net and replace the carbon. lot cheaper.

Personally i never run carbon (Planted tank) unless i have reason to believe there are chemicals in the tank that need removing. the Poly wool is better at cleaning than the pads anyway as you can cram it in, so my water is clear.

Thanks for the reply - you say you dont use carbon as you have a planted tank. Does carbon have a negative effect on plants then?

carbon will remove any ferts and minerals out of the water that the plants need, becuase i dose ferts i dont run carbon. also its a bit lyk if you use co2 dont have a massive amount of air comming into the tank as this takes the co2 out of the water, a small airstone is enough. i got my pads from adamgreen240 on here, they are cheaper than the lfs, by miles. HTH

As said the foam filters never need replacing unless there falling apart or degrading

As tot he poly filter i by a bag of poly wool from a LFS (Also available online) its about 10 quid for a HUGE bag. im still on my bag i bought about 1 year ago and i use it on 2 filtered in my tank. for you it might last forever.....

as to the carbon you do replace this more regularly as its weakens as its used. you can by carbon in a pot and you then just ned to make a net that is sealable to place it in then you just empty the net and replace the carbon. lot cheaper.

Personally i never run carbon (Planted tank) unless i have reason to believe there are chemicals in the tank that need removing. the Poly wool is better at cleaning than the pads anyway as you can cram it in, so my water is clear.

Buying the polywool pads for my tank is annoying me, do you know whereabouts online it can be found, may I ask?

Cheers.

as adamgreen 240 on here. pm him. he sells them cheap.

When looking for a wool-like filter media just get pillow stuffing from any craft shop. Much cheaper than anything stated to be for an aquarium.

I'd have never thought of that, I always thought that the pads were made from some special aquarium-friendly stuff, guess that's the kind of thing the manufacturers want me to think.

Sounds good though, cheers. :)

Goto a milliners or place that flogs "material" for dress makers... such as "Dunelm mill" etc... and ask for "wadding"

Polywool from Ebay :good:

forget carbon .......as for foam replacement? nearly 5 years and still got the original

I'm confused...

I thought you were only supposed to use carbon pads to remove medications and any nasties from the water.

I've always been led to believe you shouldn't run them permanently.

I'm confused...

I thought you were only supposed to use carbon pads to remove medications and any nasties from the water.

I've always been led to believe you shouldn't run them permanently.

Sorry for the hijack OP :blush:

These days your thoughts are correct :good:

In any case, if using carbon media you should only do so for a few days (depending on filtration and water contaminates) as carbon can only hold so much then starts 'leeching' it back into the water. It should be disgarded after use as it cannot be 're-charged'

Most reactions

Back