Rena Xp3 Filter - What Filtration, And Where?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pepperami

Reaction score
Hiya guys

Just got an XP3 external filter, and it looks really nice.... trouble is... too many options :lol: :lol:

Can I ask if anyone here is using one?

If you are, please could you tell me what your using inside it, and more importantly WHERE inside, as the order you put the filtrations stuff is important, and im not too clued up on it :blink:

Thank you ;)

Chris

Hay, I just got myself a new one too and set it all up last night.

Im using what they gave me in the box so far, but bought some nice new ceramic tubes.
These have always worked well on previous filters and im keeping my existing one running for 7 days to allow them to build on these new ceramics.
I've left the carbon out for now. Im going to get some bog standard carbon soon as i was informed that the zorb-carbon you get with it sucks ammonia, therefor killing the bacteria.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all go well, should do really.

:)

p.s as for placment, ive got the rough foam first and then the smoother foam on top in the first basket. then the ceramics in the second basket, followed by the fine 'buffer' foam/fiber stuff.

I use the XP2 with smooth seramic in the bottom, followed by sponge, then floss, then the rough ceramic on top. In the XP3 I'd do something similar, only with different grades of foam to reduce the time between cleans :good:

Chris, you need to run the existing filter along side the new for longer than a week, or you will get a mini-cycle when you remove it, and quite a large one at that due to so little time with them running side-by-side :/ Run both side-by-side for 4 weeks, then slowly start removing media from the existing filter over the next 4 weeks, so that the bacteria move into the new filter in large enough numbers to tank over :good:

HTH
Rabbut

ah cool ok :) I shall follow that advice then.

Ill have to put up with the big ugly black thing churning away in the corner of my tank :p

However, there is a noticeable difference in the water quality, even after 48 hrs!

Most reactions

Back