Reintegrating A Guppy

luxbear

Reaction score
I had previously posted on here about one of my guppies who is currently recovering in an emergency tank. Today was the first time we tried to reintegrate him into the main tank after well over a month alone. We kept a close eye on him to make sure the other fish didn't immediately attack him once he was in. No one seemed to aggressively go after him, but his tail was nipped a bit when he swam too close to our Rosy Barb.

In the end, we pulled him and put him back in his own tank after seeing he had become stressed and scared. I want to eventually re-add him (he's definitely healthy enough to return to the main tank), but I want to try a different method. I hear that re-adding him with other fish might work, or taking out the more aggressive fish prior to adding him, then putting everyone back once he has adjusted to the main tank.

Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

---

Tank: 15 gallons
Fish: 1 Rosy Barb, 2 Zebra Danios, 1 White Skirt Tetra, 2 Guppies

Funnily enough I did this with our three platy's this morning.
I had to do a 40% PWC on the main tank (major tank clean) and took the opportunity to reintroduce them then.
When I have done this type of PWC in the past, I have noticed that the tank occupants become a tad confused and wonder what is going on.
Any squabbles amongst themselves - very rare - are forgotten and they pull together.

So I put back half the water I had taken out, put the platy's in and topped off. By the time each of the fish had sorted themselves out, it was if the platy's had never been away - they had been absent for two weeks - and fingers crossed, everything is hunky dory.

Perhaps this method may work for you?

David

Funnily enough I did this with our three platy's this morning.
I had to do a 40% PWC on the main tank (major tank clean) and took the opportunity to reintroduce them then.
When I have done this type of PWC in the past, I have noticed that the tank occupants become a tad confused and wonder what is going on.
Any squabbles amongst themselves - very rare - are forgotten and they pull together.

So I put back half the water I had taken out, put the platy's in and topped off. By the time each of the fish had sorted themselves out, it was if the platy's had never been away - they had been absent for two weeks - and fingers crossed, everything is hunky dory.

Perhaps this method may work for you?

David

That's actually what we did - we tried reintroducing him after we had done the water change/tank cleaning. We put him in a bag of his own, let him float for 15 min, added some of the tank water and let him float for another 15 to get him fully acquainted. I was honestly surprised that they went after him.

Would it be worth feeding the others just before adding the "new" fish so that he is not seen as a threat to their food?

M

Yeah, I had fed them before and everything. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.

I think you should get more of all fish. The barb will continually nip at whatever it can unless it's in larger numbers. Also, I'd get some tall plants and/or driftwood so the fish can escape.

Well, I am sad to report that my little guppy in the emergency tank has passed on. I tried my best, but after about two months in his own tank, he fell victim to an infection. I always get a little upset when one of my guys dies, but I'm sure you pet owners can relate.

In any case, RIP Chamomile.

Most reactions

Back