Redtail Is Not Red!

leond

Reaction score
Bought a small redtail on the weekend (4 days ago)and he's in a tank with other equally sized fish. He's moving around fine but he doesnt really seem to be eating much and his redtail is basically transparent with a tinge of red. Al the other fish in the tank are fine and my levels are all normal but just to be sure i did an extra 30% change yesterday. Any help on what might be up with him would be much appreciated.

Can you post stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, how many gallons or litres is the tank, the red edge of the tail is it his colour or like blood on the edge, plus is he clamping.

You have a red tail black shark? They go pale/white when they are stressed, need more info on your situation as wilder asked :nod: .

Sorry i should have put these in: ph 7.5, ammonia and nitrite levels bang on zero and nitrate levels 10

No clamping, the body end of his tail is red and then it moves to transparent as you get closer to the tip

How many gallons is the tank as he might be stressed if the tank isn't big enough, does the tail have any fraying or split fins.

I think it may have something to do with age. I've seen several rfbs with clear fins. They were all juveniles. I've also seen my adult rfbs' pale when stressed and it's completely different. I could be wrong it's just an observation I've made. Then again I've seen very young rfbs with red fins so who knows

I think it may have something to do with age. I've seen several rfbs with clear fins. They were all juveniles. I've also seen my adult rfbs' pale when stressed and it's completely different. I could be wrong it's just an observation I've made. Then again I've seen very young rfbs with red fins so who knows
tank is 60 litres. is in with 4 other fish average length 5cm.

thanks for your help

Stress as that tank is only a 12gal, they need alt least a 40gal tank, i would rehome him or get a bigger tank.

Most reactions

Back