Red Tailed Sharks ?

archamfr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well basiclly, i now have a small tank, allready planted and cycled, and i was wondering...

how big do redtailed sharks grow?

do they need to be in groups?

Basiclly, should i bother with them?

its just i would like something very lively, but not livebearers :good:
i was looking at green barbs (?) and like them, however if i can id rather get redtailed sharks.

thnx in advance :)

well basiclly, i now have a small tank, allready planted and cycled, and i was wondering...

how big do redtailed sharks grow?

do they need to be in groups?

Basiclly, should i bother with them?

its just i would like something very lively, but not livebearers :good:
i was looking at green barbs (?) and like them, however if i can id rather get redtailed sharks.

thnx in advance :)

Do you mean red tailed catfish? Do you have a picture of some of these guys that you want to get so we can clarify what fish you are talking about? Exactly how many gallons is your tank? Do you want community fish? Peacful or aggressive? Since you mentioned livebearers I'm assuming you want something peaceful? You could go with a school of neons or zebra danios (6). They are very active. And got a bottom feeder you could get either a couple cories (3), depending on the size of your tank, or maybe some kuhli (sp?) loaches (3).

RTBS get to around 5-6" and once in a aquarium they get very territorial liveing under wood or plants and other items and chasing anything that comes close.....

Their no good for small tank's, I'll sugest it least to be at least 3' long and only 1 fish to a tank or they will fight.

give us more info on fish, numbers of fish and size.

If you plan on getting one you should ATLEAST have a fifty gallon tank. =/ I suggest no small tank mates... They do however do fine with Bala Sharks. I have a Red-Tailed Black Shark, also known as a Rainbow Shark and he's in my aquarium with two Bala Sharks. Don't get more than two, they'll end up killing each other most likely. =/

I agree with james, they are different, to sum up the main difference:
Red tail black sharks only have red tails.
Rainbow sharks have red fins.

and:
never argue with the wolf!
:p.
Hehe!

[edit]
Actually, you are correct (read on before you argue) as he said the red finned black shark was the same as the rainbow shark, which according to the site, it is.
We are talking about the red tailed black shark, which is different.
Just to clear that up :)
[/edit]

You guys are a hoot!,

I had someone sell me a Bodie (unsure of the spelling) for a rainbow once. It was pretty kind of irridecent on the sides with orangy red fins and tail and a bit of a flatter body than what I was expecting but since I got from an 'expert' who was I to question it. It was ok as a juvy o boy when it got grown it tormented everything in the tank regardless of size, I finally took it back to the store it came from and traded it, thats when a new 'expert' identified it for me. Scott

Okay, there's two kinds:
RTS aka RTBS aka Red Tailed Shark aka Red Tailed Black Shark. They get to about 6 inches in aquariums and once they get to that size they're generally very territorial. They have black bodies and black fins with red tails.
There's also The Red Finned Shark, aka Rainbow Shark. They have a silverish body with reddish orange fins

LOL 99.9% sure...

Well I'lll go 100% that their not the same fish, read you own link.

Most reactions

Back