Red tail Shark

ashtin49

Reaction score
My rts is not too aggressive, but very territorial. He has taken over my coral house. My question is, I really want a peaceful tank that all my fish can enjoy. Would the other fish be happier without the rts so they can use the house too?

Thanks.

RTS are very territorial but usually only chase 'invaders' away and dont do any harm except harrasment. The trick with them seems to be to put the shark in last, then he shouldnt cause too much trouble. Mine doubled in size in about 5 months so make sure he has enough room. The like to have dark cave like spaces to live in, so a length of pipe for a tunnel is a good home.
I would suggest re-arranging your current setup as much as you can and putting a length of thin pipe along the back glass of the tank for him to make his home.

Ken

IME, rtbs's are usually pretty good with other community fish of an unlike appearance. What other fish do you have?
The other fish in your tank will learn where they can go w/o being entering the rtbs's territory and they should all live in harmony. It's usually just a quick chase with no harm done anyways.

I would suggest you put the coral somewhere in the tank and always leave it there. Otherwise every time you move it, the rtbs will make a new territory and the fish won't understand the boundaries right off and the cycle will have to continue.

IMO, I would leave him in.

Most reactions

Back