Red Tail Shark Not So Dark

lemond68

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had two red tailed black sharks for 2 weeks. They have had multiple water changes and the water conditions have been excellent ( Temp 75 F [23.9C], pH 7.4, NH3/NH4 0 ppm, NO2- 0 ppm, NO3- 10 ppm).
They however, have looked more grey than black and their tail more salmon than the original bright orange. They are otherwise active and eating. Any hints how to get their dark nice color back.

thanks

JG

I have had two red tailed black sharks for 2 weeks. They have had multiple water changes and the water conditions have been excellent ( Temp 75 F [23.9C], pH 7.4, NH3/NH4 0 ppm, NO2- 0 ppm, NO3- 10 ppm).
They however, have looked more grey than black and their tail more salmon than the original bright orange. They are otherwise active and eating. Any hints how to get their dark nice color back.

thanks

JG

Hey there.

Keeping 2 red tailed sharks together is a no-no I'm afraid. They fight amongst themselves and the stress can cause them to look a little washed out. A RTBS should be very black, and very red. I recommend rehoming one of them because AFAIK there is no effective way of keeping 2 in a tank together, especially as they mature.

If the tank you are talking of is the one in your signature, it would also be worth pointing out that 2 bala sharks in a tank so small is also not recommended. They grow very large, and need to school in a larger number than 2, meaning that they need a recommended tank size of 125 gallons minimum.

HTH

Most reactions

Back