Red Honey Gourami

chesterjohn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my local P@H has some of these that look really nice, also another lfs has some Red Robin Gourami in stock, these look very similar, so are they likely the same or a type of dwarf?

Couple more questions, will it be ok to get 1 male and 1 female (I only want 2). And how do you sex them? They look identical to me

As far as I can remember, they are exactly the same species.

In terms of sexing, it is rather hard as they look almost identical, I believe there is a way involving the deep bodiness of the female and longer dorsal fin of a male, but don't quote me on that.

1M:1F would be fine, but I would recommend 3, 1M:2F. That is...if you can tell.

I have one male, one female by accient (tho mine are golden honeys). At least I assume I have coz they built a bubble nest but no-one's given me a definative answer on that (would still be good???).

Anyway, they were meant to be 2 females. The bloke in the shop said he couldnt promise they were in fairness to him. But all in all so far *touch wood* they're ok. The one I assume is the male (bigger, more colourful? yes?) chases the female sometimes but so far *again touch wood* no worse than that. She did hide one night but I've seen nothing since *loving the wood* :good:

How about getting 2 females if possible? Would that be preferable to 1M 1F?

Deffo (if you don't want to breed obv). Though that's what I tried to do, it can be quite hit and miss due to them being hard to sex.

Deffo (if you don't want to breed obv). Though that's what I tried to do, it can be quite hit and miss due to them being hard to sex.

If they bred and anything survived, that would be a bonus. But tbh, I doubt they'd be able to breed as my filter is angled upwards and my cleaning would most likely destroy any bubble nests.

What I've heard is that the male has a longer, pointed dorsal fin and the female has a rounded one.

Yeah...my male and females dorsal fins look exactly the same to me. All I can see is the male is brighter in colour and bigger (though that might be coz he's older, i'm not sure yet).

Apparently they won't ofen breed in a community tank. They'll build the bubble nest but that's as far as it usually gets so I'm told.

Most reactions

Back