Red Gills On Tiger Barb

sbga

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got some albino tiger barbs from a local pet store, and one of them had inflamed gills and one of the gills was pointing outwards. I took that one back and got another one that looked healthy. After putting them in my tank I noticed one of them had red gills. Do you think it has gill flukes or some other parasite, or did the water at the pet store have too much ammonia? What is the best medication to get for this? How prone are my other fish to this? I really dont want my old rosy barb to get this. thanks :shout:

Do you think the red color in the gills is just coming out because it's albino?

What are your water levels like? as this can sometimes indicate high nitrites etc... Or it could just be where theyve been added to a new tank with bad water conditions or it could be natural....
My yellow clown goby in my seahorse tank sometimes develops pink gills when he's been rushing round the tank etc...

Red gills is usually indicative of ammonia / nitrite exposure. If this has come from your tank, you need to act to resolve it asap. If it has come from the shop, it should settle down on its own so long as you have good quality water, and i'd think twice about visiting that shop again.

Really, to proceed any further, we need your water parameters?

Ammonia?

Nitrite?

Nitrate?

pH?

Cheers :good:

BTT

sorry I only have an ammonia test kit and the reading is zero. I dont think it is my tank b/c i have 3 healthy active rosey barbs and the other tiger barbs are healthy and active. the only one worried about is the one I just got yesterday. I'm thinking they had really poor water quality at the store. I'm hoping it's not gill flukes however the fish seems to be swimming around today and eating

Symtom of gill fllukes and skin flukes are.
Red inflamed to bleeding gills, or pale with excess mucas on them.
Laboured or increased breathing.
opaque or pale body with excess slime.
Flicking and rubbing against objects in the tank.
Swimming oddly or jerky movement.
Erratic swimming.
Spitting food out.
A fish can lose weight with flukes.
Sores on the body of the fish.

My best advice in that case is to do a few water changes and keep a close eye on it.

I would also advise that you should have at least a test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH in your armoury.

Nitrite is lethal to fish and any fishkeeper should be able to test for it. It may be nitrite in your tank which is poisoning your fish, but you'll never know unless you can test for it.

If it turns out that your tank is fine, i'd seriously consider finding a different shop to buy your fish from.

ok I will get the nitrite, nitrate and ph testers next time I go to town

I just took a sample of water to my mother's because she has some other test kits. I tested the pH and nitrite, pH was 6.0 and the nitrite was 0

Most reactions

Back