Red flame scarf gouramies

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I wanna start a red flame dwarf gouramie tank UT as you know it's very hard to find females. . So how many males can I keep in a 55 gallons tank to avoid bullying ?

Don't waste your time with dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) because they are regularly infected with the Gourami Iridovirus and or Fish TB. Neither disease can be treated and once the diseases are in your tank, they are there until you disinfect the tank and everything in if (including fish).

If they aren't rotten with disease, an unlikely thing with red flame versions, I would say one. No more. They hate each other.

Aren't they a bit like bettas (unsurprisingly) in behaviour/aggression?

I have 2 of them in the same tank with my koi betta females and everything is fine they get along really good
Gouramis and bettas shouldn't be kept together. I'll leave it to other more knowledgeable members to expand but this is really not a good idea. I thought your bettas were in a species only tank?

I'd say you are lucky if they aren't fighting, and if they get along with the Betta.

They're a confusing fish, as a modified form of lalius. I've seen them sold with a couple of breeding/origin stories. It'll be interesting to see how well they hold their colour, or if they fade over the next months. They are often treated with testosterone before being shipped to stores, and as the hormone wears off, they can lose a lot of the red.

Gouramis and bettas shouldn't be kept together. I'll leave it to other more knowledgeable members to expand but this is really not a good idea. I thought your bettas were in a species only tank?
I read bout it n yes I took a chance bcause I also read the problem is mostly with male bettas. In my tank they all get along

I'd say you are lucky if they aren't fighting, and if they get along with the Betta.

They're a confusing fish, as a modified form of lalius. I've seen them sold with a couple of breeding/origin stories. It'll be interesting to see how well they hold their colour, or if they fade over the next months. They are often treated with testosterone before being shipped to stores, and as the hormone wears off, they can lose a lot of the red.
They're gonna stay in the betta tanknuntil my 125 gallons get set up then they go there

They were in their own tank. Just betta girls n corys. But I got a great deal with the gouramies n I don't have another tank to put em in so I had to put em with the bettas n keep an eye on them n like I said it's been a week n they're getting along really well not bullying whatsoever. They just leave each other alone

They were in their own tank. Just betta girls n corys. But I got a great deal with the gouramies n I don't have another tank to put em in so I had to put em with the bettas n keep an eye on them n like I said it's been a week n they're getting along really well not bullying whatsoever. They just leave each other alone
It's your tank of course, it just seems incredibly risky for no real benefit especially with no quarantine for the gourami. I'm sure in your other thread there was advice about not adding anything to your tank for at least a month because of the deaths you have experienced. I can't talk, I lost all my fish recently because I messed up, just hoping yours stay peaceful until such time as you can get the new tank ready. Good luck.

It's your tank of course, it just seems incredibly risky for no real benefit especially with no quarantine for the gourami. I'm sure in your other thread there was advice about not adding anything to your tank for at least a month because of the deaths you have experienced. I can't talk, I lost all my fish recently because I messed up, just hoping yours stay peaceful until such time as you can get the new tank ready. Good luck.
I appreciate your input n advice. But right now mu budget is very limited so I can't buy not even a used tank so I had no other tank big enough to put em in so I had to risk it n so far is working pretty good

Most reactions

Back