Red-Fin Shark with...

The-Raven

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm planning out my new 55 gallon community tank that's nearing the end of cycling. I saw some red-finned black sharks at the store, which is rare since they usually only carry the albino version, which i think are nasty. But the black ones seem pretty cool. I know that they need to be kept alone because they're aggressive to the same species.. so I was planning on just getting one.

Anyway, here's what I have:
3 Zebra Danios
3 Albino Corys
3 Otos

I used to have 4 danios, but one passed on last night, this upcoming weekend I plan on getting three more to up the count to 6.

Here's what I'm planning on getting so far (numbers taken out because I'm going to wait and see how crowded it gets):
Glolite Tets
Neon Tets
Black Phantom Tets
Serpae Tets
Brilliant Rasboras
Tiger Barbs

I was wondering if a Red-fin Shark would be too much of a bully? Or if he's the only one of his species will he pretty much get along with others.

A tactic I've learned when introducing aggressives into the tank is to put them in last, they seem to act like the new kid in school and play it safe that way. Should I do that?

my red tail shark only really seems to bother midwater faster swimmers like my tiger and black ruby barbs - he pretty much leaves all the bottom dwellers alone (clown loaches, bristlenose plecs) so although the corys and otos are timid you might find that they are fine. similarly my folks keep red finned sharks with neon tetras, zebra danios and a swordtail - its only the swordtail that he really goes for, the neons get ignored and he cant catch the danios.

i did read that a lot of the aggression is directed at anything wth a similar body shape/profile to itself, personally i would have thought you;d be ok with that mix but i havent kept any of the tetras listed with them myself so wouldnt like to say for definite

and definitely add the shark last to avoid territorial issues

The red finned black shark Labeo erythrurus(rainbow shark) is different from the red tailed sharkLabeo bicolor.

I have recently purchased one(Labeo erythrurus), so I can only say that so far there have been no problems keeping him with my danios. Maybe someone with more experiance will come along soon and help you more.

yup, though i understood them both to have similar tempraments, with the red tailed being the grumpier of the two?
just to clarify, comments on my own experience (barbs, bottom dwellers) relate to red tailed shark, parents fish (danios, tetras, swordtails) relate to red finned/rainbow sharks

The-Raven said:
A tactic I've learned when introducing aggressives into the tank is to put them in last, they seem to act like the new kid in school and play it safe that way. Should I do that?
In my short lived experience, I have also noticed this. I have read it is a good idea also.

I had a red-tailed shark for a very short time (a few weeks) in a tank with some platies, frogs, and chain loaches... He didn't bother them and seemed quite happy (he had a cave he liked). After a few weeks though... he jumped! RIP red tailed black shark... and to everyone else, cover all your outlet holes!

An issue not covered yet is the temprement of the individual fish. There are specimens that live quite happily with other non-sharks and there are those that are absolute terrors.

They can grow a good deal larger then the other fish you are proposing. With a naturally at least semi aggressive fish, that is not a good thing. Unless you are lucky enough to get a placid example, I would think a degree of chasing is inevitable.

Without seeing what number of the othr species you are proposing, it is difficult to comment further, but Tiger Barbs and to a certian extent Serpaes can be problematic as well.

Most reactions

Back