Red Eye Red Tail Fw Pufferfish

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So ive read about them and they seem to be on the more peaceful side of the puffer family. They also seem to stay smaller at a length of about 2-3 inches. Would one of these pufferfish live happily in a 10 gallon (us gallons) that is heavily planted, with three ottos, ghost shrimp for a clean up crew/food? Or is that too small for such a puffer?

Probably do better with a larger tank. I had a chat with neale about these guys a few weeks back. Look up Carinotetraodon Irrubesco for more info online. Ghost Shrimp will probably be lunch, but the Otos sound like fish that will get along. Neale can help you better than I can, I imagine he'll be along shortly.

As Ceramicbull states, I wouldn't keep them in 10 gallons. They may well survive, but they won't be happy. Even 20 gallons is less than they're happy with, despite their small size.

Cheers, Neale

Gotchya, yeah I was just curious as to the puffers well being. Are there any other species of Fresh water puffers besides the Indian Dwarf puffer? (I have one indian dwarf puffer in my 10 gallon, but might be getting a 5-8 gallon tank only for him and 1-3 ottos)

There are two dwarf puffers, C. travancoricus and C. imitator, so you could try either of those in ten gallons. The second species is fairly uncommonly traded, but not impossible to obtain. While C. irrubesco can live in 10 gallons, my repeated experience of this species is that it's nervous and shy in confined spaces. Much better to have 30 to 40 gallons and keep a group of 2-3 pairs than to try and keep a singleton or a single pair in 10 or 15 gallons. C. lorteti is less retiring and may adapt better to small tanks, but I haven't kept this species for 20 years and can't really remember much about it! It is very aggressive though, so 10 gallons would be for a singleton, not a pair.

Other small puffers include Tetraodon cochinchinensis and Tetraodon erythrotaenia, but they both need at least 20 gallons.

Cheers, Neale

Gotchya, yeah I was just curious as to the puffers well being. Are there any other species of Fresh water puffers besides the Indian Dwarf puffer? (I have one indian dwarf puffer in my 10 gallon, but might be getting a 5-8 gallon tank only for him and 1-3 ottos)

There are two dwarf puffers, C. travancoricus and C. imitator, so you could try either of those in ten gallons. The second species is fairly uncommonly traded, but not impossible to obtain. While C. irrubesco can live in 10 gallons, my repeated experience of this species is that it's nervous and shy in confined spaces. Much better to have 30 to 40 gallons and keep a group of 2-3 pairs than to try and keep a singleton or a single pair in 10 or 15 gallons. C. lorteti is less retiring and may adapt better to small tanks, but I haven't kept this species for 20 years and can't really remember much about it! It is very aggressive though, so 10 gallons would be for a singleton, not a pair.

Other small puffers include Tetraodon cochinchinensis and Tetraodon erythrotaenia, but they both need at least 20 gallons.

Cheers, Neale

so C. travancoricus and C. imitator are both types of Dwarf Indian Puffers (common name)? Both reaching only about an inch right?

They're both sold as dwarf puffers, at least, and both are from India. The "true" dwarf puffer is of course C. travancoricus.

The two species are identical in terms of care.

Cheers, Neale

so C. travancoricus and C. imitator are both types of Dwarf Indian Puffers (common name)? Both reaching only about an inch right?

They're both sold as dwarf puffers, at least, and both are from India. The "true" dwarf puffer is of course C. travancoricus.

The two species are identical in terms of care.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the info! By any chance is this Neale from the Wet Web Media website?

Most reactions

Back