Red Crab In A Malawi Tank, Is It Ok?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
im hoping to start a malawi tank after christmas, and can't decide on bottom dwellers, after a visit to the pet store the other day, i saw a tank full of red crabs, and they were so interesting, and i was thinking of having just 3 in my 49gal along with maybe some saulosi, and labs.

is there any problem with having crabs in a malawi tank?

from the little knowledge i have, when a crab is armoured it will defend it'self and be fine (Rainbow crab) however, when it sheds it's shell, it will be soft and juicy and become easy pickings..

from my point of view i would try and steer you away from any Crab in a Malawi set up.

ok, thanx dru, i dont want to make any mistakes.
do you think the best option is a bristlenose pleco?

from the little knowledge i have, when a crab is armoured it will defend it'self and be fine (Rainbow crab) however, when it sheds it's shell, it will be soft and juicy and become easy pickings..

from my point of view i would try and steer you away from any Crab in a Malawi set up.

lol another problem with Rainbow Crabs is, if they survive, they can grow to between 5" and & 8" across!! that makes a big one 11" across including legs!!!!! sadly they also lose their vivid colour as thy age, ending up quite drab.

ok, thanx dru, i dont want to make any mistakes.
do you think the best option is a bristlenose pleco?

depends on why you want it tbh...

i have a couple of BN's in my tank as 'glass cleaners' but they are consistantly breeding in the main tank and do nothing but spawn and vent the eggs all day lol

i also have petricola in the tank as 'bottom activity' but there really is no need of either as the 'mbuna' malawi are very active ALL over the tank area, included predominatly the bottom, and they are consistantly sifting sand and digging (species dependent that is :hey: ) so you don't have to worry about having something that'll swim right on the bottom to make sure everything is stirred up ok..

its up to you, i love my petricolas i think they are fab and would not take them out for the world, the bristlenoses i could live without, but they are cool enuff in there own unique 'only there mother would love them' styling..hehheehhe

hope this helps :D

Dru.

Most reactions

Back