Red claw crab

Should they be in brackish or freshwater or saltwater?

• Freshwater?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brackish?

• Saltwater?

• Total voters
Well i did vote freshwater but for some reason it registered as brackish.

I'm going by what my LFS dude says, he always gives top advise and said that he wouldn't stock anything that you need to fiddle the water about for.

I would say that Red Claw Crabs do much better in brackish water. I have been trying to keep RCC for the last 6 months. For the first 3 months I kept my water fresh in which my crabs kept dying on me. My water quality was always very well kept, I changed the water atleast once a week. I have always given them acces to dry land ever since I set my 10 gallon up specifically for them. I had about 6 of them (2-3 at a time) in freshwater which all died. They either stopped eating then died a few days to a week afterwards, or mysteriously died out of no where. Then I decided to add a little bit of salt (1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons) and the 2 crabs that I have kept since then have survived for the last 3 months. One eats very well, the other stopped eating once, only because she molted during that time period, she is fine and her feeding habits are back now. I have also noticed that they move around much more and spend a bit more time in the water than out since I added the salt. So, I would highly recommend BRACKISH WATER, I am going to spread the word to every message board and will actually open a new webpage dedicated to the progress of my crabs. There is just too little information on the web now and the info that is provided is highly unrealiable.

So many points of view!!

I think I'll have to get 3 tanks...1 for crabs, 1 for cray fish then a nice big one for a tropical set up.

How do you measure the level of salt in the water?

I had m first 1 die of a bad water change. Put dechlorinated tap water in during the change without realizing my tap has more then 8 ppm of ammonia. U measure the level of salt, or salinity level ot specific gravity, with a specific gravity tester. I got a $4 knockoff that does the job adequately. Remember when measuring the sg that the higher the temp about 64 degrees, the more you have to adjust. There's sites everywhere about that.

They will live in freshwater quite happily, but in nature are found in mostly brackish mangroves. In nature they reproduce in the sea, then migrate inland to estuarys and mangroves where the water can vary from fresh to brackish.

Ken

Most reactions

Back