Red Anus? Swollen Belly? Worms?

tanyauk

Reaction score
My female barbus had swollen anus (about 5mm) for about a week, and she looked like she was about to explode. She hid all the time, but came out to eat. Then one day, I noticed she suddenly shrunk, and she is ok now.
My other fish has red vent now, what could it be? Worms?

HI! I don't think it's dropsy, scales look normal , when they go to toilet, poo is thick, long and curly (brown/white mix), I gave all fish medicated food (praziquantel), they all seem have this kind of poo, they seem to be in pain when they do it

Right poor things.
Get a worming med don't know your location.
Try some shelled peas on them as well.
Hard to say if its internal parsites, to bacterial to be honest.
Ever seen an worm prutruding from the fish anus.

Hi, I was looking for a topic that already covered my question and your last comment is the closest(I think). I have or had a stunning little Female fantail that one day appeared to have some red spiky things sticking out of her butt. As she didn't appear to be in pain or be affected in any other way, I thought I'd leave her in a hospital tank and see how she went. The following morning she appeared to be suffering, she was listless and floating at a 45 degree angel on the bottom of the tank. She had a darkened chest and it appeared almost translucent. I couldn't bare to let her suffer so I put her in a bowl which I then rested on an ice pack. I sat with her until I was certain that she had gone from suffering to sleep to eternal peace. I needed to know if the red things were worms or something else so I gently tweezered them and sure enough I think they were worms. What I need to know is how would she have got them, are my other fish likely to get them and is there a treatment for getting rid of them and preventing them? Please help... I love my babies and couldn't bare to lose anymore, I have just got a wonderfully (what I thought was) healthy batch and I have had 4 or 5 new lots of babies over the last few months.

Yes internal parasites and you will need an internal parasite med but don't know whats available in austrailia.
The other fish will more then likely be infected with them too.

I have some pistures, this is what it looked like. I see now that one of my other female faintails has them, how do I treat this, PLEASE..............

1.jpg
2.jpg

Most reactions

Back