Record Number Of Fry

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This morning, I moved the guppy fry of 1 female (who was transferred to this empty tank to deliver) to new quarters... Because it seemed so many fry, I decided to count them..... I counted 87, and I assume that although it is a heavily planted tank, she must have eaten a few as well....

I just wonder, what is the average size of a guppy brood and what would be considered unusual??... I've bred plenty, but never bothered to count them, but would guess on average about 45 to 55??

The record for any livebearer i have kept was 85, but only 55 made it p[ast the 3 week mark, and only 25 made it to selling size.

my extra large female guppy who ended up being euthanised cos she split on her second pregnancy had over 90 live fry on her first batch then unfortunatly started to split so didnt have any more babies from her
keeping in the main tank so survival of the fittest i have 20-30 of her young that made it to 8 weeks old

The record for any livebearer i have kept was 85, but only 55 made it p[ast the 3 week mark, and only 25 made it to selling size.

Yea, I'm talking exclusive Guppies here Krib... I've had a Sword female that delivered very close to 250 fry (& I even think that was a small brood) but how many have you heard of specifically for Guppies?

PC3009562.jpg << it doesn't look like there are 77 in there but it took me a while to catch from the tank and count them so there definitely are! :)

My female guppy very recently just gave birth to 77 guppy fry (that took me so long to try and catch them all to raise them!) and i thought that was amazing since her first lot only gave 11 and 10 have survived to a month old so far, starting to get a reddish orange colour in their tails! adorable! :)

But i've read somewhere that guppies can give birth to up to about 200 fry!

Most reactions

Back