Recommended Small Algae Eater

TotallyTropical

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have started to get algae on the side of my tank (which I actually wanted, because I think that that's the sign of a healthy tank :|), but it's really getting out of control. Like, I clean the side of the tank one day, it comes back twice as bad the next. I know that Otos are really good for this kind of job, but I had a bad experience with them.... Does anyone else have an idea for a good, but small algae eater? (That can fit in a 10gal tank)
Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Oto's would be best, 4 or 5 of them. Other than that a bulldog/rubbernose pleco will be good, until it out grows the tank, if it ever does.

what's been the problem with oto's i find there great little fish :blink: what else is in the tank? you could go for amano shrimp :good: they eat a wide range of algae

Otis would be best. Amanos don't eat algae off of glass, only plants, rocks, and wood.

I have 4 guppies (soon to be like 1,000,000 more :rolleyes:), and 4 Kuhlis. The problem with the Otos are:
1: I can rarely find them (at stores)
2: When I had two of the little guys, they didn't last more than a week or two before getting fungus and dying. :(
I could try a couple more otos this time.....

How about a Bristlenose Pleco, then? Or a Bulldog Plec? Or a Rubber Lip Plec?

When I had two of the little guys, they didn't last more than a week or two before getting fungus and dying. :(

They likely had fungus when you bought them, don't be put-off them! They are great little fish and in your case would be perfect for your algae problem. Give them a second chance! :rolleyes:

I have started to get algae on the side of my tank (which I actually wanted, because I think that that's the sign of a healthy tank :|), but it's really getting out of control. Like, I clean the side of the tank one day, it comes back twice as bad the next. I know that Otos are really good for this kind of job, but I had a bad experience with them.... Does anyone else have an idea for a good, but small algae eater? (That can fit in a 10gal tank)
Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Sorry about going totally OT for a moment (i have nothing to suggest) but your dog looks just like mine....

How about a nerite snail? One would be OK in your tank. You wouldn't get overrun as they need a male and female to breed, and although females ay eggs, they don't hatch in freshwater.

They likely had fungus when you bought them, don't be put-off them! They are great little fish and in your case would be perfect for your algae problem. Give them a second chance! :rolleyes:
Okay, I might try them again.... :lol: But 3 max.

Sorry about going totally OT for a moment (i have nothing to suggest) but your dog looks just like mine....

Wow! They do look alike! I also used to have the exact same avatar as you... :blink:

How about a nerite snail? One would be OK in your tank. You wouldn't get overrun as they need a male and female to breed, and although females ay eggs, they don't hatch in freshwater.
I could go with one of those instead of an Oto... I'll check them out.

I second this idea. Nerite snails don't do as good a job getting algae off small leaves as would an oto or an amano shrimp, but my nerites completely rock the sides of the tank. Plus, they come in a variety of eye-catching patterns, which is quite nice. The only problem I have with that is that I already have to supplement my nerites' food so I can't go collecting more pretty ones.

Be aware that Rubbernose Plecs Chaetostoma spp.) have extreme setup needs, far beyond many common hobby fish...

Many need low end tropical temps in the 20-22C ballpark.

The water turnover needs to be massive, with lots of surface agitation to get lots of oxygen in the water. I have two tanks right now with these fish it, they have ~12x and 18x true turnover.

While they may eat algae (my newest 3 polished off my 620T in 4 days), the are really looking for critters ("aufwuchs") that live in amongst algae in the wild.

They are not suitable for "tardis-like" tank stockings, tanks should be understocked if anything, reducing competion for food and helping to keep the water quality excellent.

I would say a bristlenose plec is your best bet to clear the algae, how soon after setting up your tank did you put your Otto's in? They tend to like a mature tank, i wouldnt consider putting one in a tank less than 6 months mature even with a fish-less cycle.

JG

P.s Bristlenose's are great fish to have in your tank, i love mine.

Most reactions

Back