Recommended sexing ratios for 3 types of fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CockroachTheory

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not new to aquariums, but I am just getting back in after over 20 years away. I am currently building a 75 gallon SE Asian community and have had a Florida native tank and South American tank, both 29 gallons, dirted, and set up for about a year.

I would like a group of 8 pearl gouramis in my 75gallon as the feature fish. I will be having lots of plants and wood to break up sight lines, as well as other other fish and schoolers.
Would 3 males and 5 females work or do I need to limit it to 2 males and 6 females? I’d prefer the former ratio, but I want to increase the odds of a harmonious grouping as much as possible.

I also wish to keep 7 Drape fin barbs and 7 Odessa barbs. Are 2 male and 5 female groups going to be a likely success or do I need to reconsider things?

I look forward to sharing my build and experiences here and appreciate the knowledge this group has to offer. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
I would just have 1 male and 2 female gouramis.

I would get 10 of each barb and have 4 males and 6 females, or 5 males & 5 females of each species.

Most reactions

Back