Recommended Plant Collections?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elly

Reaction score
I have a Vision 180 aquarium and I've decided to upgrade my lighting to 3 flourescent tubes, add reflectors and add CO2 to attempt to get a low-tech, healthy planted aquarium. Now the only thing left is the plants! I was going to choose them individually but I always seem to underestimate the amount I need and get the wrong plants...so I was thinking of getting a collection for a 90cm tank from either Greenline, Java Plants or PlantsAlive - or elsewhere if anyone can recommend. What do you think would be the best collection?

I've not had one myself, but Ive heard very good things about the greenline collections. So long as you don't mind what you're getting, they are great value and generally easy to grow plants. Ideal for the 'beginner' as it allows you to find out what plants will/wont grow in your tank (every tank if different).

Sam

I got one of the greenline collections for my community tank. They're all labelled as to what they are and where to plant them in the tank, but don't expect full grown plant specimens :)
Of the ones in my collection I'd say 80%+ are doing fine in the tank as it stands, I removed a few that really were not doing well and starting to deteriorate.
Since you have more light and CO2 I expect you'll have far better results than me and faster growth. Overall I would say the collection was a good deal, certainly more economical than buying individual plants.

I removed a few that really were not doing well and starting to deteriorate.

Remember that when crypt species are move they often shed all their leaves and regrown new ones, this is normal, so don't remove them thinking they are dead!

Sam

I removed a few that really were not doing well and starting to deteriorate.

Remember that when crypt species are move they often shed all their leaves and regrown new ones, this is normal, so don't remove them thinking they are dead!

Sam

Actually the crypts seemed to do ok, it was a couple of ferns of some kind and one of the bulbs which sprouted, lost all its leaves, sprouted again then started to decay. In saying that the package had more plants than had been advertised and I even gave some away to a friend who added them to his tank too. Considering the price I think they are a good deal.

Looks like Greenline it is then, thanks!

I have to say I was disapointed with the quality of my last Greenline order. Hairgrass was poo as was the stargrass.

It can be a bit hit and miss, but generally they are ok. If not email them, I've heard they'll replace stuff thats not in the best of health. That said, you get what you pay for, 10quid for 60+ plants is a bargain which every way you look at it.

Sam

Most reactions

Back