Recommend Me Some Food Please

mystic.bertie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
im looking for suggestions for the best foods to get, it has been many years since i last kept malawi's. so i just bought a full set up inc fish and wondering whats the best foods here is a list of the fish i have.

9 yellow labs
4 red zebras
2 golden head cichlids
4 auratus
3 peacocks
1 olive
2 hybrids
2 crabroe
1 frontosa
2 livingstoni
1 blue dolphin
2 blue bortia
1 gold loach
1 catfish
1 plec

You have a bit of a mixture and many of your fish have different requirements, some are herbivores, others are carnivores or omnivores. However for malawis it is best to get a food with a protein level of no more than 40%, this will be displayed on the nutritional information on the back of the packaging.

You have a bit of a mixture and many of your fish have different requirements, some are herbivores, others are carnivores or omnivores. However for malawis it is best to get a food with a protein level of no more than 40%, this will be displayed on the nutritional information on the back of the packaging.

Hi, i use NLS & spirulina also jbl malawi sticks & veggies peas/lettuce/cucumber ect, hope this helps

Hi, i use NLS & spirulina also jbl malawi sticks & veggies peas/lettuce/cucumber ect, hope this helps

I feed mine on a Sera food and they also get my home-made malawi mix on a daily basis, it's the same one from Ad koning's book, back to nature guide to malawi cichlids vol. 2. They also get lettuce and peas.

:blink: Hope it's a pretty large tank
4ft Juwel vision 260 litre

ok many thanks i need to research my different fish, im not sure which ones are which so i may post pictures and get the help of the forum so i can identify my fish better.

do the fish eat the peas and lettuce and cucumber well, is frozen peas ok defrosted of course

I feed mine on a Sera food and they also get my home-made malawi mix on a daily basis, it's the same one from Ad koning's book, back to nature guide to malawi cichlids vol. 2. They also get lettuce and peas.
what does this malawi mix considt of ?

The malawi mix consists of shrimp, spirulina, spinach and gelatin.

The malawi mix consists of shrimp, spirulina, spinach and gelatin.

cheers

i just tried some peas, defrosted them in warm water but i have a load of skins lying at the bottom of the tank, any way to avoid the skins being left over ?

Did you remove the skins before feeding them?

Also I found the ingredients for the malawi mix:

1kg whole prawns
1kg green peas
Spirulina powder (you'll need to adjust the amount)
A few leaves of spinach (blend them with the mixture)
100g gelatin powder

Once it's frozen all you need to do it cut it into small cubes and allow it to defrost.

Your tank is WAY over stocked. It is good to overstock mbuna a bit but that is way too many fish

I can see it is a 260 litre tank, by the time you have accounted for displacement by rocks and substrate the volume will only be around 220-230 litres. As Fishlover said you are overstocked.

I can see it is a 260 litre tank, by the time you have accounted for displacement by rocks and substrate the volume will only be around 220-230 litres. As Fishlover said you are overstocked.

so how many fish should i cut back to 3 fish were lost in the transportation from previous keeper to here. also the frontosa is small, should i consider removing the bottom feeders to allow room for the fish ?

1kg whole prawns
1kg green peas
Spirulina powder (you'll need to adjust the amount)
A few leaves of spinach (blend them with the mixture)
100g gelatin powder

Gelatin's ok but Agar Agar would be better as its the vegetarian alternative to Gelatin (which contains animal protein) and would be easier for your fish to digest... especially since your already adding prawns. :good:

Most reactions

Back