Recommend Betta Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all -

Can anyone recommend a specific tank for a betta and perhaps 1 small snail for company - one that doesn't look like your normal aquarium? I want to put a small tank on my work desk (can do 5 gallons), but I don't want it to look like your standard rectangle aquarium. I've been looking at the Bio Orbs, but they seem kind of impractical and overpriced for what you get. It has to be quiet and unobtrusive because I work in an open office room divided by cubicles, so I have neighbors on 3 sides of me. I want to spend $100 or less for everything. I already have water testing kits, filter media, water conditioner, etc. from my tanks at home. I'll cycle the tank before I put a fish in it. I know I'll need a heater. I will put a plant or 2 in there.

I like the look of the Bio Orb, the Hagen Fluval view 4 gallon (too small?), the Fluval chi. I would love something that looks like an actual fish bowl but obviously I want the filtration, so that's why I was looking at the Bio Orbs. Has anyone actually added a filter and heater to a plain fish bowl? It looks like they make simple airstone-driven filters for adding to bowls, which I could probably make pretty easily myself. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hmm. Just realizing they don't make actual fish bowls bigger than like 1 gallon. Scratch that.

Betta's can go in anything 1 gallon + as long as they have a heated tank and filter. Be sure that if it is smaller than 5 gallons, no other fish will be added (and obviously not another betta) I did my whole set up for around $22. 

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3bx90&s=8#.UuvSjvldU8w

This acrylic tank I got from walmart for about $12. The plant was about $9 and the rocks were $1 from the dollar tree. This particular tank is in a rectangle shape with a under ground filter.  It does not have a heater but it is in a warm room and has a hooded light so that keeps the water warm as well. For a tank this size, you would need to do a 100% water change ever 2-3 days. I also got the fish from walmart for $6

You could do the 4 gallon biOrb. Its like $70ish at pet smart online... if you want to pay that much for a souped up fish bowl. I do like the looks.

lrhodes - I know, it seems like an insane price, but I spend 9 hours a day sitting here so I'm willing to spend the money on something that will look nice. Although I'm now leaning toward the Fluval Chi. I wish Tetra had the LED cube in a 5 gallon.

I've heard that biOrbs are not the best for bettas since they need to be able to access the surface for air. I suppose you just don't fill it all the way up?
I havn't had the fluval chi and hard for me to tell from pictures..does it have a lid? If not I wouldn't recommend it as bettas are jumpers.

What about the marineland 5g hex? I'm not sure if that looks quite good enough for what you're looking for.
Or maybe the aqueon mini bow? Imagine you've probably seen these already, sorry :/

For a small snail, what about a nerite? They come in a variety, though not sure how easy some would be to find without going online.

Ninjouzata - you can buy a lid for the Fluval chi. I'm actually looking at the Marineland Hex or the Tetra crescent - so many options but nothing is exactly what I have pictured.! I have a good LFS that has a whole wall of snails, so I don't think that will be a problem. They also have some beautiful bettas.

I think just what I don't want is a tank with a heavy black hood on top. The ones I'm drawn to have clear lids or just small rims. I could do one without a top light because I have a fluorescent tube light built into my desk that would be right above where I'm putting the tank.

I see what you mean about the hood. That's good to know you can buy a lid for the chi.
I wish my LFS had a wall of snails! :(

mrstwalker said:
Betta's can go in anything 1 gallon + as long as they have a heated tank and filter. Be sure that if it is smaller than 5 gallons, no other fish will be added (and obviously not another betta) I did my whole set up for around $22. 

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3bx90&s=8#.UuvSjvldU8w

This acrylic tank I got from walmart for about $12. The plant was about $9 and the rocks were $1 from the dollar tree. This particular tank is in a rectangle shape with a under ground filter.  It does not have a heater but it is in a warm room and has a hooded light so that keeps the water warm as well. For a tank this size, you would need to do a 100% water change ever 2-3 days. I also got the fish from walmart for $6

Anything less than 2.5 gallons is extremely hard to heat and keep clean.  In your situation you really need a heater.  I see no thermometer on your tank to monitor water temperature which would make it hard to keep the water stable. Unless you keep the room temperature steady between 80-82F all the time and even then when you have the light on for the tank that would change the tank temperature a bit which is something else to watch.  Becareful of the plant you have in your tank as well since it looks to be plastic and could cut your betta's fins.  Even with a filter in a tank of that size I recommend 50% water changes daily.

OP-- I suggest finding a tank of around 5 gallons so that you do not have to do waterchanges but once a week.  I recommend a sponge filter instead of any of the filters that most small tanks come with.  Depending on how you want it to look, you can find some cube tanks that would work very nicely for what you are wanting to do.  You would just have to construct a lid with a piece of glass or plexi.  I have a friend who got one here recently that holds 7 gallons but is not very big.  I will look for the link to where she got hers.  Also you will need a 25-50W adjustable heater and a thermometer.

I was going to mention the marine land hex, but you mentioned it would be nice to have something that resembled an actual fish bowl..... its really just what you like. :)

In case anyone is just sitting around waiting to hear what I got (I'm sure you are), I ended up getting a Fluval view. I found an unused Amazon gift card from Christmas, and that sealed the deal. Got a 25w heater that should fit nicely in the filter compartment. And some extra sponges to baffle the filter flow, as "they" say the flow can be too much for a betta. Now just to cycle it and get my fish! 

How cool. Please do post pics once you have your new buddy :)

Indeed, pics! I have seen how the view looks, very interesting. 

Got the tank! Set it up in my office today. I have a LFS that will give me some mature media, but we had a giant snowstorm so I couldn't make it there today. Will go for plants and media tomorrow! The filter is super quiet. Literally I can't hear it. The Fluval 25 W heater fit nicely just inside the filter compartment. It did come with what looked like charcoal/zeolite combo as the filter media, so I did a little surgery and replaced that with some Eheim lava rocks, see picture 3. I was able to shove quite a bit of it into the 2 filter pads, as the weird gauzy material stuff is a little stretchy.

Close up on my desk:
20140205_091609_zpsdabc674b.jpg

Wide shot:
20140205_091653_zps1f36979b.jpg

Forgive me the frankenstein stitches. The material wasn't easy to work with, so I did some big loopy stitches to be sure it holds:
20140205_090627_zps9a9b1f93.jpg

Most reactions

Back