Recomendation For Internal Filter

Robbo85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone recommend an internal filter please?

I have a 206 fluval canister on my 180l Fluval Vicenza but I have always run two filters on previous tanks so there is two flow points, obviously more filtration and if one fails at least one should still be running.

it doesn't have to be a beast
devil.gif
  and would ideally be under £30 and small enough to hid behind some would or a plant .

I am starting to believe these are the best thing since sliced bread as they say. Virtualy everybody runs an air pump right? Well put those air bubbles to use. And they are cheap.
Kw-E-Jet-Sponge-Filter-.jpg

and in an emergency like power outage you can use a battery powered air pump.

Both eheim and fluval internals are good.the u series are workhorses but aren't exactly compact.I would still try run your two cannisters if poss.
Nick I have never used any of these.do they just fit straight into air pump via clear air line?

gmc1 said:
Both eheim and fluval internals are good.the u series are workhorses but aren't exactly compact.I would still try run your two cannisters if poss.
Nick I have never used any of these.do they just fit straight into air pump via clear air line?
I was looking at maybe the fluval  U1 or U2, I would run another canister the only thing is my current canister goes through the bottom of the tank through the pre cut holes in the stand which is great as no pipes through the top, if I run a second canister I would have to cut a hole in the hood which at the moment I am not looking to do as the tank is brand new and I want to keep it looking that way as long as possible.

Yes.

Just add a check valve to the air line. they are about $2AUD.
Check-Valve-Air-Pump-For-Fish-Tanks-Aquariums_320x320.jpg

What about a HOB perhaps?

There are some good little HOB's out there and bargains to be had online.

Or one more possibility, maybe a best of both worlds of HOB and Cannister ifor you s something like this -

Eden 511 external : HOB filter.jpg

That in the pic is a Eden 511 external/hob filter which is fine for up to 120 litres apparently, as a secondary filter it may be suitable for you? 

That one can accomodate a heater inside the filter if you wish at a little extra cost but a consideration for you perhaps.

They do make larger ones although not as a HOB type as they are too heavy to be hung on side or back of tank.

A neat little idea I thought, I have one but not had it up and running yet, a smaller version a 501, which i plan to put on a 10 gal tank in the near future whn i get round to it.

But if you are more into internal filters, a Fluval U3 or U4 is pretty much bulletproof as I have had a U3 before and it does exactly what it says on the tin, though a little bulky but plants or decor can help to hide this filter inside the tank.

Anyway, just casting my two cents worth as there are a lot of different types of filters out there
tongue2.gif

I'm a big advocate for JBL and they do a lovely little internal that you can add to and grow if you want to put it on a bigger tank - all you do is buy another 'wedge' that just slots in. My Dad has one on his 50 litre tank and he loves it. It's silent, uses very little power and sits neatly into the corner and becomes virtually invisable

This is the smallest one
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=5956

And this is the one my Dad has
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=5958

I've got one of those little Edens - destined for my shrimp tank but keeping it cycled on my 70 litre (along with an internal Eheim) at the moment.

Not a bad filter at all although I did change the media about slightly.

thanks for all the recommendations guys
thanks.gif
  got some to weigh up now.

Most reactions

Back