Ready, Eggy...go?

Glegorly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently attempting to spawn my bettas. They're both in the spawning tank, She's in a bottle, he has free roam. The female is showing all the signs of a female thats ready, She's eggy, swmming head down when the male comes over, she has bars and her colour has become so vibrant. They have both been in the tank since yesterday evening (1st, around 7:00pm).

The male has been flaring at her and swmming round the bottle, but he still has not built a bubble nest. The filter is off, Theres half a cup stuck to the tank side and some floating plants for him to build under. It will be the second day that they have been in the tank by tommorow evening and by then I had hoped to release her for an hour or so and then put her back into the bottle to release again later. If by tommorow evening he still hasn't built one what should I do? Go ahead with the release? (I've read some can make one after the female is released)

Thanks guys

Release her as planned just for an hour or two and then put her back in the chimney. This may spur the male on to making his nest. We usually release in the evening and re-chimney overnight. If he still hasn't made any attempt at a nest then he may need a little longer. The nest doesn't have to be huge as just a small one can hold many eggs.

I'm having this same problem... This will be my FOURTH attempt in spawning.. a different pair of course.
out of the three times that I have tried to spawn.. Only one of the fry survived- a red veiltail. Hopefully it works out for you!!

Just let her out, lots of flaring. Little bit of chasing. Still waiting on the bubblenest. I'll put her back in the bottle after the hour is up.

I did put the male into the spawning tank with the female already settled in the bottle/jar. Should I take her out, and leave him in there to settle or should I just leave them to carry on?

We usually put the male in first but as they are already in I would continue with what you're doing. As long as she isn't getting too beat up I would leave her out for 2 hrs before returning to the chimney and then try releasing again tomorrow.

We usually put the male in first but as they are already in I would continue with what you're doing. As long as she isn't getting too beat up I would leave her out for 2 hrs before returning to the chimney and then try releasing again tomorrow.

Ok, I did re-jar her so I'll let her out again. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!

No probs :good: We use this method all the time and generally on the second release they start spawning within half an hour.....so good luck with them.

No probs :good: We use this method all the time and generally on the second release they start spawning within half an hour.....so good luck with them.

One more thing, This might sound silly but, does the type of cup affect the appearance of a bubblenest? I'm using a clear plastic one as I had over 100 of them, would polystyrene be better?

I've never used the clear ones before but I shouldn't think it would make any difference. We use poly cups or sometimes a flat piece of polystyrene, bubblewrap or floating frogbit plants.

Woke up this morning and still no bubblenest. This is over the 3rd day of the two being in the tank. Shall I call it a day and try again in a few weeks?

If he's not making any attempt then maybe try with a different male if you have one. Get him well conditioned for a couple of weeks. If not then re-condition the pair you have and try again.

Most reactions

Back