Read betta basics thread

nlynton

Reaction score
Why do the pet stores sell these little betta tanks? According to the article, these beta tanks are in NO way good.

I got a betta cube tank 4x4" by 8" deep. It has no top. I have had him a few weeks and do weekly complete water changes. I taped a little clay fisherman on the edge and have two live "lucky bamboo" plants growing out of the top.

He hasn't tried to jump out or seems bad off.

What's the story?

Not having a lid does not necessarily mean that the betta will jump. However, fish have a tendency to flop around and hop out if there is a loud noise, vibrations, or light changes. It's just a suggestion to save you some grief and keep your pets alive.

Not to mention that heaven forbid a little house fly or gnat lands on the edge of his tank,he'll be after it so fast he won't even know what happened when he finds himself on the counter or floor.

I don't know why they sell them :dunno: Because they see the fish as a novelty item mainly,but there's no reason they can't include a lid. You could make one with small air/pellet holes (if you feel the need to)

I think, a lot of Betta sellers/owners endorse/use small tanks. One of my Betta's the Halfmoon comes from a professional high grade Betta importer/breeder (the kind that sells $50 betta's, I got one of his cheaper fish, but its still a looker). Anyay, he sells tanks too.

LxWxH

8"x4"x8"

I got one of those. But I use it as a temporary storage tank for salt baths and the like. He told me that it was the standard sized tank for fish shows in Siangapore (which is where he copied it. Well it would be a bit over a gallon (but if you fill it up, best put some kind of lid on it (I use and empty DVDrom case).

Have seen Betta's in 2.5-10g tanks and I noticed they will use all the space you give them. The one in the 10G's with 5 corys seems about right. The 2.5G's look pretty good for a solitary betta. If you want to plant heavily, I think 5G's is a good choice for a solitary betta.

Am a newbie so take what I say with plents grains of salt ;)

Most reactions

Back