Rasing Ph for Snails but not to much for my Rasbora

Ursula

Reaction score
Hi Guys, noticed my snails are looking a bit tatty, pock marks on shells and white patches, basically they are not getting enough calcium, I assume, The tank is on average a PH of 6.0 - 7.0 perfect for my. Soft water loving tetra and Rasbora but not Snails, I have recently added some Amano shrimp too. My question is can I add something to benefit the snails/shrimp but not alter my water to much, Fish are very content at present. IV heard cuttlefish bone is a good choice. Any advise greatly received.

I think your idea of cuttlefish bone is a great choice for your situation. It releases calcium slowly into the water, raising calcium levels gradually without drastically affecting your tank's overall pH, which is perfect for your fish and shrimp.

Snails and shrimps can directly munch on it, ensuring they get the mineral directly.

You can blanch vegetables like spinach or kale. They can also benefit from sinking algae wafers that often contain calcium.

Thanks Malok, going to give the spinach a go too.

For the first attempt, try with well rinsed raw spinach, if they go for it, don't blanch it in the future.

It lasts a lot longer in the water when raw. And it make them do a little physical exercise foraging on it.

Most reactions

Back