Ramshorn Snail Eggs

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had a clutch of 20 ramshorn eggs since ~1/12. Should I be seeing some action soon? :whistle:

Also, any tips on raising the little dudes? I'm afraid I'll suck them up when vacuuming the substrate.

RamshornEggs.jpg

:unsure: i think they look more like fish eggs!? cories? i thought ramshorns were a clumo of jelly with little black dots in :/
Thats what my ramshorn eggs looked like

I haven't had mine in awhile and I completely forget how long they take to hatch but I can barely even see the babies yet so I would say you still have atleast a week to go. I moved the eggs to a breeder net and let them stey in there until they got big enough I could see them and not suck them up with the gravel vac.

I believe that within a couple weeks you should see some tiny snails! If after 4 weeks you have nothing, you can conclude that they were not fertalized. It has been suggested before that around 3 weeks, if you have nothing, you can try breaking open the clutch and seeing whats in there.

I had a clutch of Apple Snail eggs and it took them 3-1/2 weeks to hatch. Some still didnt hatch, so I took the clutch of eggs and ran it across the top of the water and some came out that way. However, the eggs looked nothing like those.

Update:

It's been almost a month since I first saw the eggs and decided to remove them today. After all this time I didn't see any development so they must have been unfertilized.

Also, my ramshorn a week ago started having long periods of no movement and stopped eating. It now has withdrawn into its shell and is laying on its side. I know its "only" a snail but it was my first one other than little hitchhikers from plants and it bums me out. :/

Most reactions

Back