Rams And Dwarf Cichlids Swimming Levels

TixeeriF

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently cycling my tank - only a few days in - and starting to plan stocking. After some great advice in the Introductions forum I'm now thinking a mixture of Rams and Dwarf Cichlids/Apistos (I prefer Agazissi or Cacatuoides) along with some mollies, corys, and maybe a dwarf gourami harem.

My question is about where in the tank Rams and Apistos prefer to swim. I'm pretty sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that German Blue and Bolivian Rams prefer the bottom, but am obviously hoping to fill all levels of the tank.

Are there any small Cichlids that prefer the middle / top?

I probably need fairly adaptable species also, as my pH is around 7.5 and water is fairly hard (Thames Valley water supply).

Many thanks for any advice you can offer,

Scott

Mainly at the bottom, Rams are pretty much tiny Eartheaters, hence there name 'Mikrogeophagus'

i agree, bottom to mid level, i never see my rams or apistos above that. my tank is not very tall though, so my mid level is only about 6 or 7 inches.

Yup, pretty consistently the bottom 4-5". In their natural habitat they (apistogrammas) normally live amongst deep leaf litter on the riverbed.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback. As I've got a pretty tall tank (it's a corner unit almost as high as it is across) I'll limit myself to just a couple rams / apistos and find something else to fill in the middle a bit more!

Cheers,

Scott

Something like a trio of apistogramma, plus shoals of cories, tetras and hatchetfish would do a pretty good job of filling all levels whilst also approximating a South American biotope. You'd need to check individual species suitability though as these are primarily from soft blackwater habitats. Maybe consider putting beech/oak/ketapang in to drop the pH a bit if you go this route.

Or just ignore me and get something else, I won't be upset :lol:

That does sound good, Tom, but I've promised the other half Dalmation Mollies as the main shoaling fish.

I might just got for a small group of rams or apistos alongside some corys and go for either sword tails or dwarf gouramis to fill in the top of the tank...

Next tank will be a long, low S.American biotope...!

I already have some bogwood in the tank during cycling in the hope that will bring the pH down a little, but it hasn't had much effect yet :angry:

Do you think that German Rams would adapt to harder and higher pH (7.5) water or would it be better to stick to the hardier Bolivians?

Do you think that German Rams would adapt to harder and higher pH (7.5) water or would it be better to stick to the hardier Bolivians?

Bolivian Rams are generally more adaptable than german blue rams to higher pH. And german blue rams are much more sensitive to water parameters than bolivians. I never kept german blue rams for this exact reason as i have 7.6 pH (thames valley like you :) ).

But two very important things to remember is as experienced aquarists say,

1) a 'stable' pH is more important than getting close as possible to the species natural pH
2) a locally bred german blue ram for example would be better suited in this case to adapt to high pH than a wild caught one as the locally bred one would have been kept in similar pH

If you could maintain point-1 and get locally bred rams, i guess you could give them a go, especially as far as i have seen both german and bolivian rams are in the same price range

EDIT: just to say, breeding chances might be very less if they are not in their natural conditions

As for other cichlids that are more mid-top water, keyholes and angels fit that. You could get a single angel fish or pair of keyholes in your tank I'd have thought.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot about L. curviceps (dwarf flag cichlids), my guys use all of the tank. Mainly sticking to mid-top levels of the tank so long as they feel secure. :)

Thanks for the knowledge, Neo. I'll have a word with the lfs guys to see if I can work out where the fish are bred when I come to get some.

Curiosity: Thanks for the advice about the swimming levels - the dwarf flags look really nice so I might look into getting a pair of those. Strangely, as pretty as they are, I've never been a fan of angels - they just seem to hang around and not do much else!

German Blues will live in 7.6pH no worries...

Mine have spawned countless times and are extremely active, that's at 26 degrees.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for that info - makes me feel a little more comfortable about getting some German Blues :)

Most reactions

Back