Rainbow Fish And Bettas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Julia1904

Reaction score
I recently added some rainbow fish to my community tank, I didn't think about it at the time but I was wondering if they get along with Bettas and whats going to happen when they start showing their colors, my Betta flared and bumped one the day I added them, My betta who is male seems a little pissed off about them but Im hoping this is just a temperary thing. Does anyone know if theyll be ok together in the long run? Also will the rainbows try to eat my crab when they get bigger, also I was thinking of adding some shrimp when I upgrade to a larger tank, will the rainbows try to eat shrimp? probably some cherry shrimp is what I will but. thanks in advance

Crabs are not a good mix with fish, at ALL. It's the crab who is most likely to catch, damage or kill the fish.

Rainbows and bettas could be fine - you don't know until something bad happens. Some bettas don't like any other fish and some do very well in communities.

What kind of rainbows are they? Larger ones may try to eat small shrimp but if you have enough shrimp and a heavily planted tank (which all your fish will appreciate) then it should be OK.

Crabs are not a good mix with fish, at ALL. It's the crab who is most likely to catch, damage or kill the fish.

Rainbows and bettas could be fine - you don't know until something bad happens. Some bettas don't like any other fish and some do very well in communities.

What kind of rainbows are they? Larger ones may try to eat small shrimp but if you have enough shrimp and a heavily planted tank (which all your fish will appreciate) then it should be OK.
They are australian Rainbows, I dont like my crab very much I might give it to my sister.I am going to get a bigger tank in two days, of course I still have to cycle it, but im getting live plants for it, so it will be good! I can't wait!

When I cycle my new tank how long do I wait before adding plants and my fish?

*Mollies
*platies
*Betta
* Australian Rainbow fish

Australian rainbowfish could be a number of different species, do you know their scientific name.

Bettas would likely not appreciate the fast swimming nature of rainbows. Larger rainbow species, could easily eat small shrimp species, although the smaller species are unlikely to bother them.

They are australian Rainbows, I dont like my crab very much I might give it to my sister.I am going to get a bigger tank in two days, of course I still have to cycle it, but im getting live plants for it, so it will be good! I can't wait!

When I cycle my new tank how long do I wait before adding plants and my fish?

*Mollies
*platies
*Betta
* Australian Rainbow fish

A cycle takes however long it takes. There is no set time of "leave your tanks running for x weeks then add fish". The cycle is the name for the growing of special bacteria and it can take anything from three weeks to two months, or longer. Depends on loads of factors.

However, as you already have a working filter and established tank, you don't need to cycle the new tank! All you need to do is move as much old water across as possible (to give your fish some mature water when they move) and move your old filter into the new tank OR move your old filter media (rings, sponges, etc) into the new filter. As long as the fish and filter are not seperated for very long (no more than a couple of hours MAX, although I doubt it will take that long to get everything sorted), then the bacteria in the filter will survive and voila, new tank is cycled.

:good:

Test your water every day for 3-4 days after moving the fish over, just to see if everything is OK, and then once you are sure there has been no ammonia (and nitrite) spike, you're sorted.

Doesn't really matter the species of rainbow. They are all pretty similar in temperament and care. Other than the M. parva and dwarf neon rainbows, they're all basically the same size as adults too.

I would not put a betta with a rainbow. Rainbows are pretty active feeders, and deceptively fast. Bettas are not, and IMO will have a hard time competing for food.

Rainbows shouldn't bother your crab, they just don't get big enough to eat a crab. The crab may be an issue attacking the rainbows though, crabs are opportunistic. Shrimp will likely be eaten by adult rainbows.

Most reactions

Back