Quikrete play sand

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I assume quikrete play sand has to be rinsed well before adding to tank? True?

The Quikrete play sand I bought in Canada may be the worst play sand I've ever tried to use. I would estimate rinsing (2 weeks ago) removed about 40 percent of the bag, and took a very long time while wasting a lot of water. It was full of dust and very fine particles. I had put some in a 5 gallon, and after 5 days, I could vaguely see the back of the tank. I got rid of that stuff.

The heavily rinsed sand settled and cleared after 48 hours. I still have half the bag unused, and am really not sure I want to spend an afternoon prepping it. I might just use it for winter traction and buy a local type. That is also a gamble, but it can't be as bad as this stuff.

Oy Vey! That is not what I wanted to hear. But I accept all news, good or bad with a Zen mentality. Any particular brand that’s done a better job for you?

I suspect they fill the bags in different places. They just slap the brand on them. Sand is heavy and I can't see them wanting to transport it. Whatever quarry got the Quikrete franchise around here sells really rough stuff. Where you are, it could be different.

I mean, there's a place in Nova Scotia that packages fairly clean white and brown sand tha are both neutral and well rinsed, but I don't think that'll help you. They sell it at the place up Fairville on the way to the recycling depot. You know.

I always buy one bag. Coarser pool filter sand is the same deal - it can vary. Buy one bag and test it out, then if it's good, get it at the same place.

I suspect they fill the bags in different places. They just slap the brand on them. Sand is heavy and I can't see them wanting to transport it. Whatever quarry got the Quikrete franchise around here sells really rough stuff. Where you are, it could be different.

I mean, there's a place in Nova Scotia that packages fairly clean white and brown sand tha are both neutral and well rinsed, but I don't think that'll help you. They sell it at the place up Fairville on the way to the recycling depot. You know.

I always buy one bag. Coarser pool filter sand is the same deal - it can vary. Buy one bag and test it out, then if it's good, get it at the same place.
1. Since the new tank will house African cichlids what do think of this product?
CaribSea African Cichlid Mix - Sahara Sand 20lbs. I assume it has a lot of calcium carbonate. My pH is 7.5.
2. Do African Cichlids have a preference for white vs. black sand?
Thanks

I used pool filter sand in my 29 gallon tank. It is white colored ... some prefer a darker substrate. BUT...the big plus is that it is very easy to rinse..very little dust or debris. If you're going to have lots of decor...wood, ornaments and plants...much of the substrate area will be covered anyways. And it's fairly cheap if you buy it at a pool supply store.

Pool filter sand. It's rinsed, is coarser and is fine for Malawis. Sand coloured is fine, but they aren't picky. They care about the rocks.

@gwand - I love your posts, but please do me a favour. I'm an African fish freak. Please please say which African Cichlids. I know it's common usage, but it's a pet peeve of mine. If everyone here wants to see me froth rabidly and have an eye pop out and hang down my face glaring at people, call Malawis Africans. My Africans come from softwater brooks and streams...

I mean, just because you live in North America doesn't mean you're Canadian... ;)

Pool filter sand. It's rinsed, is coarser and is fine for Malawis. Sand coloured is fine, but they aren't picky. They care about the rocks.

@gwand - I love your posts, but please do me a favour. I'm an African fish freak. Please please say which African Cichlids. I know it's common usage, but it's a pet peeve of mine. If everyone here wants to see me froth rabidly and have an eye pop out and hang down my face glaring at people, call Malawis Africans. My Africans come from softwater brooks and streams...

I mean, just because you live in North America doesn't mean you're Canadian... ;)
Understood and appreciated. I would have clarified by region but I have not decided where in Africa my fish will come from. At first I was thinking Nigeria and Cameroon but now I’m not certain. My water with a GH of 200 ppm is a bit hard for many west African fish and too soft for many East African species. So I spoke generically. Mea Culpa.

If you're going to have an accurate substrate for some of the Central African habitats. you don't need Quikrete. You need quicksand. There were some spots that were really hard to negotiate.

If you haven't decided on Malawis, I'm out of line! I thought you'd decided.

For riverine Africans, I mix pool filter sand with playsand. A lot of them have eartheating tendencies, and they dig madly to breed. For Congo river Cicichlids, 3/4 sand to pool sand. For others, 50/50. For mouthbrooders from the great lakes it doesn't matter. Riverine ones need sand they can sift.

If you're going to have an accurate substrate for some of the Central African habitats. you don't need Quikrete. You need quicksand. There were some spots that were really hard to negotiate.

If you haven't decided on Malawis, I'm out of line! I thought you'd decided.

For riverine Africans, I mix pool filter sand with playsand. A lot of them have eartheating tendencies, and they dig madly to breed. For Congo river Cicichlids, 3/4 sand to pool sand. For others, 50/50. For mouthbrooders from the great lakes it doesn't matter. Riverine ones need sand they can sift.
Thanks for the information. How forgiving are the different regional African cichlids species in regards to living in water with a GH of 200 ppm. Should I go east, central or west? I do not want to doctor my water. But I do want my fish to be happy and thrive in my water. Is that asking too much?

I assume quikrete play sand has to be rinsed well before adding to tank? True?
Yes. It's tedious. But I see it as one of those tasks you only have to do once. So I clean mine very thoroughly and it pays off. My tanks' water never gets cloudy when the sand is disturbed.

20 mesh Silica grit is very similar to pool sand, very clean with mostly rounded edges. Its primary use in Canada lately has been for artificial turf, i think it keeps the blades upwards. It is more tan colored than the pool filter sand that I have also used. My only concern with it is it might be a bit too light( ie it moves too easily in the tank). Its also pretty inexpensive with a 40 or 50 pound bag about $17 dollars here.

I will not get Quikcrete play sand again. It is not special sand, it's just sand that has been flame sterilized before being packaged.

Thanks for the information. How forgiving are the different regional African cichlids species in regards to living in water with a GH of 200 ppm. Should I go east, central or west? I do not want to doctor my water. But I do want my fish to be happy and thrive in my water. Is that asking too much?
What do you want your Cichlids to do? It may sound like a really dumb question, but it's central to choosing. What kind of stocking and behaviour interests you?

I've been using HTH pool filter sand without rinsing and it has gone well - my understanding is play sand is finer (which would be a plus for many of the fishes i keep); don't get me wrong pool fitler sand is not coarse but certain fishes finer the better.

Anyway this is my 8x4 with HTH pool fitler sand - it has been setup for about a year now:

Gotta tell you just carrying so much substrate is a pia much less attempting to rinse it - i got advice from another person who has large aquariums for this specific brand.

qq.jpg

Most reactions

Back