Quiet Clown Loach

Timelordess

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wandering if you could help me. I've kept Tropical fish for years, with no problems. I have one tank with my male fighter in, and another tank with 3 Angels, and 3 Clown Fish in. All these fish are fine, except for 1 Clown fish. When we choose them, we did so because they were lively and seemed to stay together quite well. Now 2 have gone off together and left one by itself. He sits behind the flower pot just looking into the mirrorglass, and barely moves. We thought he was dead the other day, he was almost under the flower pot on his side, and hadn't moved for the entire day. When we went to geet him out, he started going around the tank. This is when he went behind the pot and has stayed there since. Is there any reason? I've done all the water checks and they're fine. The angels and the other 2 Clowns get along fine, so I'm a little stumped.
Thanks

How many gallons or litres is the tank.

does it lok ill at all?
how big is it?
will it come for food?

No it doesn't look ill, it's about 4 inches long, and it does eat but unlike the others it only eats when I put food in the tank. The others are constantly moving the stones around and looking for food. I've put a few algae flakes in, peas etc, and he's fine then, then goes back to the corner behind the flower pot. Today as far as I've seen, he hasn't actually moved.

Does he look pale and thin.

Do a search on clown loaches called greying out.

hows the clown doing?
when i had my seven clowns i always had one that was more grey than black stipes this was the least dominant one,
its not unusual to see one on its own some times, but not all the time, if it looks heathy and is eating theres not much you can do, as you know clowns do like to hide a lot esp when new to a tank, keep your eye on him, im sure he will be fine :good:

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! I'm not worrying anymore, as he is eating fine. and does occasionally come out of hiding. I've noticed especially when the lights are turned off. I read up on the greying out, that's put my mind at rest. Thanks again!

Well, they'll act 'dead' sometimes, mine all pile up under a 4ft air stone. I have 6 that are from 3" to 5" and the biggest one has the least colour but only just slightly. Try adding 2 more and some live plants, perhaps then he'll start acting better. I had 3 and they were very skittish. I added 3 more along with plants at the same time and they are now head fed, owner responsive, hardly hiding and have much much more colour. I did that probably 6 months ago.

you might need to get a few more as others have said, but you never know the other two might be male and female perhaps you should also read up on clown loach spawning

Its pretty much impossible to breed clowns. You would surely need the hormone/gland/extract to breed them. Although they are sexually active at around 9 or so inches. I highly doubt you would breed them

Most reactions

Back