Quick Q About Filter Baffling

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Long story short - Rena Filstar XP3 filter, 54 gallon corner tank, rasboras, neons, cories so far (adding some gourami and glo tetras tonight). The filter outflow was blowing the poor rasboras and neons around the tank. I put a prefilter sponge on it (on the outflow). Fish are happy as can be now - were huddled in a corner before.

Questions:
  1. How baffled is too baffled? There is still a minor current in the tank, and I do have 2 rather boisterous airstones on opposite corners of the tank, but the surface is fairly still.
  2. If too baffled - suggested solutions? Rena used to make an outflow regulator, but it's discontinued. What about if I made a modified "spray bar" out of filter tubing and aimed it toward the tank wall? More flow, but not smack into the center of the tank.
  3. Ok I lied I only have 2 questions.

I had the same problem with an oversized Aquaclear filter. I baffled it with dollar store clear soap dish that was suction cupped just below the surface of the filter spill. The main reason for breaking the surface is to oxygenate the water. If your fish seem to be getting enough oxygen ( i.e., not gasping at the surface)  and appear to have no stress, then I would say it is not too baffled

This is absolutely brilliant. I got a plastic suctiony toothbrush cup at the dollar store and stuck it on the wall with the filter outflow inside it. It's the perfect amount of current without blowing the poor little guys around. I'm going to pass this idea around - I will totally give you credit for it. Thanks!!

I also bought a twin to the toothbrush cup, and I'm going to cover it with Great Stuff and carve/paint it to match my 3D background so I can swap them and it will look totally natural. Another project yay!

Most reactions

Back