Questions regarding tetra keeping

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keya

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a near 10 gallon tank, 35 litres to be exact (I am in Europe so finding information always comes with calculator 😄).

I haven't done the cycling yet (had the tank for a while and decided to start using it again), but I am taking my time to prepare as much as I can before getting new fish.

Color ternecia have initially caught my eye, and later I saw phantom tetras as well. From my understanding so far I will have to ensure there are two schools of these variations of tetra species.

For this size of tank I think I can form two groups of 5 individuals each, but again from what I have read it should be at least 6 of each, other sources cite they should be kept in odd numbers.14 total (if I stretch to 7 of each) count number in only this much water, even with lots of hideouts seems like unhealthy stress for the little fellows.

I think my explanation so far already provides an answer, but should I ditch the idea of having two groups? I am hoping the 5/5 solution could work out, but to proceed I need some reassurance from someone with more experience (I am also consulting with my source shop, but I suspect selling drive might overcome the obligation to give healthy advice, hence the cross check).

My experience so far is with a betta, and while the general mechanics still apply, as you can see I am stuck on the matter that differentiates them.

Thank you for taking the time to check on this thread!

Color ternecia isn’t a term used in the USA… a www. Search turns up Glo Fish… if that’s the same, they are the same as “skirt tetras” which are a larger tetra… I personally think the tank too small, for 2 schools… however, the phantom is very similar, and I would suspect the 2 may school together, so it may work with 3 or 4 of each…

I would never put that many of those tetras in a tank that small. I think you'll have to look to smaller species - Hyphessobrycon amandae, or Asian Bororas.
G ternetzi tetras become very large. Never look at what you see in stores without checking what they will become. That's a species that would need 80 litres plus. Stores will sell them for small tanks because glofish are seen as without value.

Keeping tetras is fun - even after 50 plus years with aquariums, I am pleased with the "common" ones I bought yesterday. They do need space though.

The name issue is fun. I can add color ternecia to my list of G ternetzi trade names. They are also called widow tetras, black widow tetras, butterfly tetras, skirt tetras, black skirt tetras, black tetras, white skirt tetras, glo tetras.... all for the same species, although the last two names are for human modified versions.

Thank you so much for replying to both of you! I did have a suspicion that they might school together, however the romboid shape of the glo ones threw me off from actually believing it. I am having the urge to look into schooling dynamics as well.
And now knowing that they become even larger I see that this limited space will torture them.
Digging into the two species suggested, even though I will entertain the idea of a phantom school a bit longer.
I have an uncle that kept tetras for years so I figured he could help if am not managing well, but I am not ready to hear a long rant about how uneducated I am to even attempt it yet, so I am taking it slow by scanning the internet.

Going slowly matters.
I'm an old fishkeeper, and have my ways figured out. Are they the best? Maybe not.
You have to find your own comfort zones, and follow your own curiosity. You must do weekly water changes. You must give fish room to move, and consider their needs first - they should be respected as living things with needs. Beyond that, you find what you want to learn and enjoy with aquariums. You'll probably consider a number of species before you decide where to start. And once you start, your interests can take you to other directions you haven't thought of yet. Or, you may find directions that your uncle and the older fishkeepers here haven't even thought of. Enjoy.

Although I wouldn't purchase a small tank, I've been giving a 10 gallon for free, I'm not set up yet, the fish I'm thinking of having are Chili Rasboras 0.6 to 0.8 of a inch, and pygmy corydoras a small catfish, one inch in size, so both are small, haven't made my mind up how many of each I can keep, it won't be many, I'm sure someone with more experience will know, check these two species out.

I typically look at 10 gallon & smaller tanks, as best for a Betta, or good for shrimp... I do have 4 of them, ( all 10 gallons ) I'm using as holding tanks, & quarantine / hospital tanks... I currently have a Silver dollar, that is too small to go in with my others, & a small Amazon puffer in 2 of them as holding tanks ( I also keep a small bushy nose pleco in each, to keep my biological filter good, between temporary residents )... in the other 2 tanks, I have cherry shrimp, & I'm trying to culture scuds for a live food source...
@Country joe ... I suspect that will work out OK, provided you keep the bio load reasonable...

Thanks, I have had posts saying to have a Betta or shrimps but I'm afraid I ain't keen on any of them, I think I may get away with 6 Chili Rasboras, I'd rather set up the tank to have something that I like and they are not big, I know they are a shoaling fish, but they will be well looked after.

The best site for fish research is Seriously Fish. These are their profiles of the two fish mentioned by Keya.

The recommended tank size for these fish is at least 80 cm long x 30 cm wide.

Glo tetras are a modified version of these fish (and genetically modified fish are banned in most of the EU)
Recommended tank size is at least 75 cm long x 30 cm wide.

A 35 litre tank is way too small for both these fish.

Can you tell us the dimensions of the tank, so we can suggest fish which would be OK in this tank, please?

Another issue is numbers. Most shoaling fish need to be in a group of at least 10 of the same species. Very small shoaling fish do better with more than 10.

I have a 20 gallon high tank that I like a lot. It is easy to maintain with a HOB filter and big enough for a few small schooling fish like neon tetras.

Turns out I was wrong about the size, even though it's model number is a bit larger, while looking for the dimensions I saw it listed as 25 litres, so I guess I am a classic rookie, and must thank you for the question as I now see tetras can't live there. The sides are 41/25/25 cm, and I got it for the betta specifically, however I am looking for new species, as it was too late before we recognized him as being sick (can't find the English word for it but the betta was swollen and the scales were pointing out, it started in a temporary tank, as I was cleaning the bigger one, but got sick as well so he stayed in the smaller one for a couple of days and got very inactive, my uncle came running with a medicine but the next day... Well, you get the picture, sorry for the trauma dump) and I was advised that if I have only one fellow it is normal to feel devastated if something happens. Now talking about it it feels as I am unfit to care for such complex creatures, but you know, no decisions have been made and I miss the company.

one fellow it is normal to feel devastated if something happens. Now talking about it it feels as I am unfit to care for such complex creatures, but you know, no decisions have been made and I miss the company.
To quote a famous man: "Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions." -Mark Twain

You live and learn. Learn from your mistakes and dont stop loving what you want to do.

To quote a famous man: "Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions." -Mark Twain

You live and learn. Learn from your mistakes and dont stop loving what you want to do.
Hey, thank you, I needed that!

can't find the English word for it but the betta was swollen and the scales were pointing out
That's called dropsy. It isn't a disease itself but it's a symptom of an underlying disease, a bit like with us a headache could be a symptom of several underlying causes. The underlying cause of dropsy could be a bacterial infection, a virus or even a protozoan infection.

If you decide you will keep more fish, there are options for this tank.
One thing we have not mentioned yet is the hardness of your water.
If you have soft water, a group of at least 10, preferably more, of one of the species of Boraras would work. The tank would need lots of plants, real or fake, so the fish would feel safe. This is the most common Boraras in fish stores

For medium hard to hard water, up to 6 male endlers. No females as they are bigger than males and will have a lot of babies even if there are no males with them as they can carry sperm from a previous mating and use it to fertilise eggs.

Most reactions

Back