Questions About Guppy Breeding

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lefty07603

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, 
So where Im at now is I have a male that i feel is perfect color and also a female with impressive color. It is a snakeskin male that has perfect tail and body markings. I got this male by buying a snakeskin male and a half black female. I bred them.  
3 female fry survived.
The original male then bred with one of the daughters.
I then took a male fry from the batch and bred him with his aunt.
Their offspring that i kept was 2 females and 3 males. All offspring show desirable markings. two specifically is the ones I'm eyeballing.

So now i have great colors all around but my question is how should i go about changing the tail shape in future batches? The ones i have are fan tails which is rather small and i would like to change over to a larger, more elaborate tail size and shape. Should I find a female with a large tail and breed the male with or or should I find a mail with a large tail and breed him with the female i have? Or before this should i mate the two i have and make sure the strnd is even more perfect?

Thanks guys and sorry. I know i didn't explain well. I would just like to add I find them all nice looking and i never euthanize. I like to keep at least one male from the batch and put him in a 55 gallon and then the rest i give to a LFS   

You should have the ratio of 1:3 (that's 1 male to 3 females) you can have 2 females to 1 male but it's easier to breed with 3. Go to some different local fish stores and find some guppy with different shaped tails, breed them with your current family and see if you can evolve them to have the different tails :)

Hope this helped

Most reactions

Back