Questions About Flow On A 55 Salt

King

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am converting my 55gal to salt and wondered how much flow (gph) on an overflow, return pump, and power heads i need to do this? i will be starting get parts for it this week. please shoot me some input :good:

oh and skimmer..

Shoot for 20x turnover as a minimum. Keep in mind, multiple powerheads in the tank are better than 1 big one. I am assuming you will be running a sump?

ok so instead of 10x with fresh i need 20x with salt? i guess overflow into sump/skimmer, then pushed back out the other side back into the tank. thats how my 125g is set up. i am just looking to salt my 55 and didnt know how much flow was needed since its not a real big tank. i know 10x in freshwater which is what it is now with whispers internals but wasnt sure about whats needed for salt. im prob gonna make my own sump (i have plans and have resealed aquariums before, should be easy) and thought about using a 10gal in 3 sections but also was wondering about that if i should do a 20 long for it instead?

ok so instead of 10x with fresh i need 20x with salt? i guess overflow into sump/skimmer, then pushed back out the other side back into the tank. thats how my 125g is set up. i am just looking to salt my 55 and didnt know how much flow was needed since its not a real big tank. i know 10x in freshwater which is what it is now with whispers internals but wasnt sure about whats needed for salt. im prob gonna make my own sump (i have plans and have resealed aquariums before, should be easy) and thought about using a 10gal in 3 sections but also was wondering about that if i should do a 20 long for it instead?

Haha, depends on the FW, I've got almost 20x in my planted tank. :hyper:

Id shoot for a 20 long... Im using a 29g for my sump in my 55. Same dimensions of a 20 long just taller... You get more water volume and more space vs. a 10g.

all of mine are around 15x, ive just always heard 10 as "rule of thumb"

i think what i have on the 125 is a just a 20gal chopped into 3 chambers. my buddy has had a reef tank setup and fish set up in it and its done fine so maybe i will just grab a 20 and make one exactly like this one. or use this 20 for the 55 and make a 29 for the 125, that would prob be even better! anyone got any used parts for sale? i need a pump and an overflow if anyone has any used for cheap :good:

and a protein skimmer..

Most reactions

Back