Question

Beginner_Sam

Reaction score
I’ve a 150 gallon tank suggest me some fishes that should I get. (I want fishes that I can see them growing)
Also I’m buying parrot fish for sure.

It would be irresponsible to recommend you fish without knowing the kind of water you have

Congratulations on having a 150 gallon tank! That's a great size. Be prepared for big water changes and maybe invest in a python to ease the work.

Tell us a little more:
1. How hard is your water?
2. Why the commitment to parrot fish? I assume you mean blood parrot. That will somewhat limit your other choices. (This species is also rather controversial, as a quick internet search will reveal)
3. What do you want your tank to look like? Planted jungle? Rocky ledge? Flowing river? Tropical pond? Any particular regions of the world that catch your interest?

A lot of stocking choices, especially in a tank this size, come down to simply what you want and what interests you.

Last edited:
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Most reactions

Back