Question For Anyone With Experience Of A Fish With Only One Eye

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I got some diamond Tetras the other day who were all missing one eye bar one in the tank at the lfs.

I got two without eyes and one with. The one with developed swim bladder and died the day he showed signs. It was defo swim bladder it was so obvious.

The remaining two are swimming around fine but I'm slightly worried. They sort of swim slightly titled to the side with the eye. I thought this would be expected as that's their only eye but after the one had swim bladder I've started worrying.

Anyone here had one eyed fish that swim like that?

I have a Trigonostigma hengeli that only has one eye, and it swims lopsided quite often. Especially when the tank lights are off and not much light is getting into the tank.

cheers :good:

Yeah same here, I had a Black Phantom Tetra with one eye. At night it would pretty much swim on it's side.

James.

I can't help but wonder why you would buy these this way??
blink.gif

Yeh I was thinking the same thing, that and your LFS selling fishes with one eye, if it were me I would stay well clear

Yeh I was thinking the same thing, that and your LFS selling fishes with one eye, if it were me I would stay well clear

Well said :good:. Maybe see if there is a better store like a petsmart. Sometimes petsmart can be bad too though.

I think she just felt bad, n kinda want to save the fish. I feel like that sometimes with some fish @ the LFS that are very stressed cuz the workers dont know what theyre doing n put fish w/ wrong tankmates.

And not a lot of people would be interested with fish missing an eye. Its nice that somebody is willing to give a good home for them :D

It is the best lfs around here. Maidenhead Aquatics and I felt sorry for them. Not everything is perfect. In fact my Chihuahua was from a top breeder, his father won at crufts but he was born with a severeley overshot jaw and nobody wanted him. I bought him and 15 years later he's still with me. My other Chi was the most ugly one there and he was from a reputable breeder also know in the show circuit. He was HUGE compared to the others. I picked him and he gave me 10 wonderful years and was so loving. Lola my other chi wasn't wanted anymore and neither was Tillie my other chi. I took them. Best decision ever made.

They are stunning fish, just missing an eye.

While i think its admirable that you want to give the fish a home (as they would most likely get wacked over the head at some point, being unsellable) you really dont know what problems they could bring with them. Fish and dogs are a totally different concept. Lets hope said problem isnt still dormant and the other community fish dont suffer any ill effects. I do hope you had the common sense to perhaps keep them in a seperate tank for a few weeks/months.

It is the best lfs around here. Maidenhead Aquatics and I felt sorry for them. Not everything is perfect. In fact my Chihuahua was from a top breeder, his father won at crufts but he was born with a severeley overshot jaw and nobody wanted him. I bought him and 15 years later he's still with me. My other Chi was the most ugly one there and he was from a reputable breeder also know in the show circuit. He was HUGE compared to the others. I picked him and he gave me 10 wonderful years and was so loving. Lola my other chi wasn't wanted anymore and neither was Tillie my other chi. I took them. Best decision ever made.

They are stunning fish, just missing an eye.

however if you dont buy the fish, perhaps, just perhaps, the store may start to look after them properly !
dont get me wrong, i admire your wishes to help them. but buying them just encourages the stockiest to ignore their plight. or, the state of the fish they receive from the wholesaler.

One of my albino corys lost an eye somehow many years ago. It did not seem to affect him in any way.

I did think about that but then I assumed because all the fish have the same eye on the same side missing it was a genetic thing not disease.

One of my yellow labs has only one good eye due to a bit of a scrap between it and another one in transit, he does swim slightly lopsided and i presume it`s so he can see out of his good eye what`s going on around him. His 'disability' doesn`t stop him chasing after the females or eating and there doesn`t seem to be any detrimental affect to him at all. In fact I would say he`s probably the most chilled out of the 6 yellow labs I have :good:

Usually when fish are born with deformaties, that is it, like humans and animals, its not going to have issues later down the line, its hereditary. Yes as people say they dont understand why you buy it, i dont agree with this, can you imagine a breeder or importer sifting singularly through small fish to see if there all in tact, myself ive brought fish from a shop, got home then realised ive had one with one eye, to be honest at the time it was my preference fish, little bit of a charecter, does not effect them and they adapt very well,just think blind cave fish have adapted since they lost the use of there eyes,much like humans do, they could have lost the eye after birth and its healed over, With humans these things happen, my little sister had a stoke at 21, she has lost three quaters of her eye site, im not going to put her down because of this,

Most reactions

Back