Question about geophagus fish

Beginner_Sam

Reaction score
I get three geophagus fish on my tank should I change gravel to sand? also I’m getting blood parrot fish soon

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 620
Hi Sam, I've never kept them, but definitely sand. I believe they sift through the sand for food and/or their natural behaviour. It might not have to be pure sand, but it must be finer than what you've got.

Wait for a couple of other members more experienced in Geophagus to post.

Nice looking fish, and welcome to the forum.

100% change from gravel to sand - get a really fine sand as well so they can sift it through their gills as in the wild.

These are not actually Geophagus but Threadfin Acara - Acaricthys Heckelii. Beautiful fish but can be a bit more aggressive than your Geophagus and Satanopercas so bear it in mind. They will do ok with a parrot fish but... not my cup of tea - I'd go for a Super Red Severum, bit more predictable and not as deformed but the same bright orange colour.

If you want success with those Threadfins (which are very close to Geophagus), you will need 20 gallons, 75 ltrs per fish. If you are planning to add, you had better have a really big tank. Putting large fish in too small tanks is a common mistake when you are still gaining experience with them.

If you want success with those Threadfins (which are very close to Geophagus), you will need 20 gallons, 75 ltrs per fish. If you are planning to add, you had better have a really big tank. Putting large fish in too small tanks is a common mistake when you are still gaining experience with them.
It’s a 150 gallon tank

Most reactions

Back